IndyCar Racing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sunday's race is going to be [uck fay]ing incredible. Watch.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

watch somebody [uck fay] around and let Danica win this thing. fortunately, it's unlikely.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

No words.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Real life just gave this thread an awkward bump.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Terrible.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Days like today make being a race fan seem like it's not even worth it.

7. volinbham

volinbham Member

Horrific crash - have never seen such carnage and so many cars airborne.

RIP Dan Wheldon - he went from luckiest guy alive on Memorial Day weekend to this.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just awful...

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It makes you sick when someone loses their life on the track. It's hard to get it off my mind and my thoughts are with his family and friends. It's tough to see Dario Franchitti and other drivers deal with the loss too.

10. volinbham

volinbham Member

Dario, Wheldon, Herta and Kanaan were all tight from their days with Andretti racing.

Wheldon was a real character.

RIP Chompers

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm not much of a race fan anymore but my sentiments go out to all those involved. I'm here though to voice my displeasure for reporters and reminding why I no longer have any interest in working on that side of sports... Some reporter asked Jr how Wheldon's family is probably taking it since he's been through that and knows what it's like. Jr said "I'd rather not (talk about it). It's a little personal," and walked away. Kudos to Jr. There's no reason to make Jr relive that moment any more than he already is. I get that it would make a great story, but sports are sports, they shouldn't be so personal. It pisses me off that a reporter would even bother asking that question.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i'd probably avoid the British media for the next month then.

13. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I am totally ignorant on the new car they're apparently going to have next year, but the broadcast guys were saying that it would have sort of a bumper around the back wheels to keep the cars from launching up into the air like several did in that accident on Sunday when they would make wheel-to-wheel contact.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

New car will take some getting used to, but I bet sponsors love the new side pods.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is going to be one of the best 500 that I can remember. Ahh...I cannot wait.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Are you going this year? I would like to make just one more before I get to where I cannot do it.

What is your opinion of the new car? I think I know your take on the new engine rules - in favor of it?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I admit I wasn't a huge fan of the new car from an aesthetic point of view. However, after seeing it in person on the track, I really like it. I could do w/out the nonsense on the back but I understand why it's there, though I'm not sure what good it will do.

The engines were much quieter than I expected, especially compared to last years package. I love the sound of a wound up turbo and can't wait to hear them in full song around the speedway. I wish Lotus was more competitive but they got a late start. They're going to get crushed this month. I think anybody, literally, with a Chevy or Honda can win the race this year.

This is actually going to be my 20th race so it's a little bit more special than others. Looks like we'll also be in Terre Haute for sprint cars the Thursday before the race.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I lived in Terre Haute for a short time, and went to every event at "The Action Track". At the '72 Tony Hulman Classic, I had members of Tom Bigalow's crew stay with me.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Did you know the '73 Hulman Classic was where Gary Bettanhausen was given the knick name "Schmucker" by Johnny Parsons, Jr.? Gary had gotten a ride with Penske, already a top team, but insisted on entering sprint car races. He flipped out of the park and broke both arms, losing his short lived ride with Penske, and destined to never win a Indy Car race.