Indyvol's first pistol should be...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

posted this thread on toos a while back. never got around to buying one over the summer but i am strongly considering it now. I was looking into the CZ 75B a lot, and i really like it. If i go with a 9mm, i believe that is what i will get. However, i am starting to lean more and more towards getting a 22LR, probably something like the Ruger MKIII. anybody got any good suggestions? i know some of you posted your opinions on toos when i asked, but some didn't. thanks for any advice!

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What is your goal with the pistol? Is this training wheels, something cheap to shoot, or just to own?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Smith&Wesson 500- without a doubt.

Go big or go home.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's a thing of beauty..... It actually kicks less than a .44Mag, at least according to the MANswers [breast] giggle test......

Don't know about Taurus' Ragin Bull version. The venting system looks a bit different from the S&W. You know how it compares to the S&W recoil?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

goal is to learn about shooting, safety, and just more about guns in general while also getting to practice. i plan to go into some type of career in law enforcement, hopefully with the FBI or something related, so i want to start learning how to shoot now.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If that is your goal, I don't see anything wrong with your .22.

It will do all of those things just as well as a bigger gun, and it is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to shoot.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, the .22 is going to be ridiculously cheap to shoot compared to the rest. That would be my choice if I were still a college student.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

one reason i have been thinking a lot about a 9mm instead of the .22 is that i won't have a whole lot of time to shoot anyway. School keeps me super busy and football just adds to it. It's not like i will be going out every weekend shooting this thing, so i kind of felt like the money a .22 would save me isn't as high since i won't be shooting that much anyway.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How much of a history do you have with firearms? If it's a limited one, I'd go with a 22.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think everyone here that grew up with firearms cut their teeth on a .22. It's like a bike with training wheels. A 9 makes sense because you want to pursue a career in LE.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

how much of a factor is money? I'd take a 45 ACP over the 9mm, but it's probably going to cost around 100-ish more for the weapon itself and ammo is like 75% more or so. That said, even with limited understanding of weapons, a 9mm is incredibly easy to operate.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Did you buy one?