POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You know, nothing starts my day off like going out and seeing gas up 30¢ overnight. It comes down in five cent increments and then for no damn apparent reason, BAM, heres a thirty cent raise.

[uck fay] em

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I put the equivalent of 3.40/gal USD in my vehicle day before yesterday. Blew my mind. I haven’t seen it that cheap since I first got here a year and a half ago.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

4. NorrisAlan

Can anyone please explain why gas prices ocellate 20 and 30 cents every two days? Makes budgeting impossible

zehr27 likes this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So that I can kick myself later for not purchasing it on my way to work.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How did I not know that the Fair Tax was originally created by the Church of Scientology?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's maddening

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

They also started the whole 501c3 defining of a church thing, but you probably already knew that. Which opened the door for groups like Westboro.

Edit: and if you look at that definition, it is not covid compliant. Luckily no anti church tax exemption group was so shitty as to push that issue because it would certainly have killed some folks if they were being herded to attend in person when they otherwise would remotely, as to protect their church's status.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Do scientologists have a college?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, they're pretty different from everything else, religion wise. I think they're somewhat opposed to "college."

11. CardinalVol

They definitely expanded it basically through bullying the IRS. They are crazy.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they exploited a flaw in the thinking of "religion" as all being like a town church/congregation. Were we to start over, I think the requirements of 501c3 should not even mention religion but rather focus on defining nonprofit missions/objectives. Would it really be so bad if megachurches had to meet some threshold of public service to get their status? It could even be progressive by brackets of annual donations received. E.g., the bigger the higher % expected to be going to a nonprofit mission. This would help protect small churches/groups by giving them easily attainable thresholds they probably already meet through normal drives and collaborations.

13. CardinalVol

I'd have to think on it. The sticky part would be what qualifies as objectives.

I think I'd rather apply excise/surtaxes on things as opposed to donations. Example - pastors who fly on jets.

justingroves likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well that would fix what I perceive as the problem, as well.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. CardinalVol

It's much more the exception than the norm, but it's also what gets the media coverage.

justingroves likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not the norm, but it isn't just about the number instances or the total amount of money involved. It damages charity and nonprofit-giving to have bad actors using it for self gain. It ought to mean something.

17. NorrisAlan

Bag of hot dog buns
    Frozen waffles

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's out of control. Thank God Biden is on the case.

19. NorrisAlan

Not sure what any President could do (though I am not convinced Biden even knows what year it is).

If this is caused by an influx of money into the system, I wish someone would flux some my way.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Kind of a dumb thing to notice it on, I guess, but I had to buy a couple of bags of chips and they were like $6 each or something

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.