POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

no Hope existed for me. I had a perfect GPA.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There could be some truth to this, but I bet he is operating his own business, and PROBABLY doing large animal too. Both of those are where there is more money, and both of those, yes, would be harder for a mother.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just saying anyone going into vet school has to know it is a harder road than medical school. It's printed on the tin. But some after the fact proclaim it's wrong that this is the case.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

he’s not doing either of those.

He says the money is in pets but would like to open his own practice and do more large animal work.

A-Smith likes this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I went out of state so I'm no Hope expert. Why was that the case?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because it was in effect for Class of 2007 (starting 2003). I was Class of 2006 (starting 2002). So I was also mixed in with folks from the same or much better financial situation with infinitely more assistance. This only mattered because it gets really old having instructors act like accommodating work schedules for class activities outside of class time is somehow a reflection of my choices because of the existence of the Hope... when it wasn't. And you'd explain to them but the emotional judgement had already been made for some.

EDIT: and believe me, the difference for my friends in Class of 2007 was obvious in the years after immediately in terms of the financial benefit.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Poppa T likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Owning the practice is a good way to do better. There’s money in the right situations in equine. Farm animal ain’t gonna do it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting, things have improved since I was around it, I guess.

9. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Gotcha. What was tuition in 2002? I assume decent chance kids now are paying more even with the Hope.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

4000 a semester as I recall

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I looked it up, the base scholarship has gone down since its inception while tuition has gone up. Wow. What a scam for getting gambling into the bible belt.

TennTradition and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why I am heavily insinuating to my kids that they should use the Tennessee Promise on top of the Hope Scholarship to limit their post-college debt load as much as possible.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I had an Econ prof who publically ridiculed us Vets in his class because we were receiving Transfer Payments (pay no taxes) in the form of the GI Bill. We were the bain of the American economic system. [uck fay] him.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tennessee Promise is what lowered the Hope Scholarship.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indeed, those were benefits you earned for your COMPULSORY service to this country. [uck fay] him. Money earned and money well spent.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Good plan. At least you have that option in TN. These dumbazzes in NC take all the lottery money and stick in a general "education" fund so they allocate it however they want. No Hope for the kids over here.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think I paid around 2000 a semester in 05 at Tennessee Tech.

I thought tech and Cookeville was really affordable back in the day.

my wife got a free ride to UT.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My impression as a former dairy farmer and long time pet owner is that small animals is where the money is.

10SEvols likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

You guys got me curious, excluding board certified vet surgeons and specialty animal vets (like racehorses), I found the following.

"The veterinarians who make the most money are small animal veterinarians, but their job and work environments are generally universally similar. Large animal veterinarians, on the (other) hand, get paid less, but may have more variable and changing schedules."

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

With livestock, it has to be economically sound to have the vet work done, since it's a business. But nothing is too high a price for Fluffy.

Poppa T, NorrisAlan and 10SEvols like this.