Inside the Numbers - Heupel at UCF

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DownNDirty, Jan 28, 2021.

1. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

2019 UCF Schedule (SRS Ratings are overall team ranks out of 130 teams in D1)

62-0 win over Florida A&M (Non-Major)
    48-14 win over Florida Atlantic (11-3) SRS 31 out of 130
    45-27 win over Stanford (4-8) SRS 80
    35-34 Loss to Pitt (8-5) SRS 62
    56-21 win over UCONN (2-10) SRS 124
    27-24 Loss to Cinci (11-3) SRS 24
    41-28 win over ECU (4-8) SRS 114
    63-21 win over Temple (8-5) SRS 60
    44-29 win over Houston (4-8) SRS 71
    34-31 Loss vs Tulsa (4-8) SRS 63
    34-31 win over Tulane (7-6) SRS 44
    34-7 win over South Florida (4-8) SRS 89
    48-25 win over Marshall (8-5) SRS 73

Teams they beat combined record: 52-61

2020 UCF Schedule (SRS Ratings are overall team ranks out of 127 teams in D1)

49-41 win over Georgia Tech (3-7) SRS 95
    51-28 win over ECU (3-6) SRS 93
    34-26 Loss to Tulsa (6-3) SRS 40
    50-49 Loss to Memphis (8-3) SRS 76
    51-34 win over Tulane (6-6) SRS 73
    44-21 win over Houston (3-5) SRS 84
    38-13 win over Temple (1-6) SRS 122
    36-33 Loss to Cinci (9-1) SRS 10
    58-46 win over South Florida (1-8) SRS 115
    49-23 Loss to BYU (11-1) SRS 11

Teams they beat combined record: 17-38 and beat no team with a winning record

Worst loss in the last 2 years to a 4-8 Tulsa team in 2019

Best win in last 2 years over Florida Atlantic who finished 11-3 in 2019 and rated #31
    Smells a lot like Butch Jones to me. He seems to have good offenses but the teams they play are pretty subpar. They have played three games against what I would consider GOOD teams in the past two years. In those games they lost to Cinci 27-24 in 2019 and 36-33 in 2020 and they got obliterated 49-23 by BYU in the bowl game this year. The same BYU team who got beat by Coastal Carolina and Jamey Chadwell this year in what was one of the best games all year long.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I doubt anyone looked up Cincinatti's SOS when Fickell was being thrown about. Spoiler alert: it's not that good either and he's never gone undefeated there.

Of course these numbers are going to stink, they're an AAC team playing AAC teams.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

There seems to be a year missing.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Can’t you hear the “boom boom” of doom??

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This is does remind me a lot of the butch jones hire with a slight upside, he's not butch. I think CH is a better coach compared to butch but that's not saying much because butch is garbage. I think his record here will be very similar to butch minus butch's last year. CH will win enough to keep most of the fanbase onboard and bring in decent revenue by getting to NYD bowls. Tennessee might be mentioned as a dark horse for the east during his time here but never really be in contention for a national championship.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This sounds like nirvana compared to my expectations.

Memtownvol and Savage Orange like this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He's not Butch. Jones oozed bullshit and fakery from the opening "I was my wife's third choice, too" lines to the Volympics (The breaking point on Volnation for me was when I argued with people over the value of that stupid ass program and I was roundly chastised for saying it was stupid.). He was the most obvious phony I've ever seen. Heupel is not this. Personality wise, he seems fine. Perhaps not the kind of Nick Saban in your ass type, but I don't think we'll hear many stories of him being a shady MF or a complete jerk to people.

8. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

When I say smells like Jones I mean what the record will turn out to be. Jones was a complete moron always and forever. Heupel is likely a better person than the last two but that's not a high bar either. I'm sure Heupel can develop players better and he has an idea of what's going on. But I'm just feeling him being anything other than a coach who will win 6 or 7 games at best here at UT. And that's not good enough.

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I would take this in a damned heartbeat. You're basically describing James Franklin.

I'd be surprised if JH finished 4 years with over a .500 record.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just thinking about all the bull shit Butch said/did over the years gets my blood boiling.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think it will happen barring sanctions

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The worst part was knowing, especially in year 2-3, where this thing was going and realizing we had 2 or 3 more years of it. That was the only time in my life where I actually rooted for us to lose in order to hasten the inevitable. He was stupid beyond belief and arrogant as hell, a very bad combination.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Lol didn't Butch chase away the first pick of the Volympics for reporting a potential rape. I can't remember any names right now but this feels right.

Memtownvol, justingroves and IP like this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I always bristle at the Butch comparison. I wouldn’t even use it just talking about the W/L record

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I was thinking the same. If that actually materializes I’ll be very surprised. VERY surprised.