iRacing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Snakeonia, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I havent tried it, but I know that every serious racing game enthusiast swear by it

3. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Got it, love it. Definitely not for the faint of heart. These guys are serious. It can be really **** frustrating working your way up through the endless wrecks as a rookie. Not a cheap hobby either - with the monthly subscription costs plus the costs for additional cars and tracks can really add up. I think I have all of the oval tracks now as well as all of the cars all the way up through the A license oval series. I still lack about 5-6 road cars as well as about 8-10 road tracks. I don't race them as much so I haven't really plucked the money down to race more on the road side.

If you need any advice/help feel free to ask away. I love iRacing myself and find it definitely the most realistic simulation racing experience you can have. You need a good wheel though (at minimum a Logitec Momo). I have a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals and it does me really well. My father-in-law has driven ARCA, pavement Late Models, and Legends cars and he sat down and gave it a go not long ago. He said it was crazily realistic to the way the cars really feel. He said if I would have a racing cockpit like an Obutto Gaming Cockpit that it would be about as real as you can get without actually being in the car.

4. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

thanks downNdirty. question, how much does it cost for the subscription, and i had no idea you had to pay for extra cars, and tracks. ***, so what is this going to run? i'd like to give it a go

5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

If you do it monthly it was about $12.99/month but you can get 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year memberships which save you more money the longer you subscribe for. Also, you get bonus iRacing credits with the purchase of the larger subscriptions which you can use to purchase cars/tracks. To start out you get the rookie license cars for both oval and road for free as well as, I think it's now like 3-4 tracks on oval and a couple of road course tracks for free with the subscription. Since you can only race rookie races until you earn promotions that's all you really "have" to have to start out. If you are more of an oval guy like me then you progress to a D Class license which allows you to drive Late Models, SK Weekly Modifieds, and a Fixed setup class of Nationwide type of cars. Since there are no AI drivers you always are driving against real people in races.

For example, in the rookie class on ovals you race Street Stocks or Advanced Legends. But Street Stocks is what most guys definitely begin on since they are fixed setup cars. They have races once each hour, at the top of the hour, and the tracks are the same for one week. In rookie Street Stocks you either race at Charlotte Motor Speedway or USA Speedway. Once you climb into the D Class car for example you have the three options to choose from. You could realistically buy all 3 cars (they run about $11.95-$14.95 each, but you get to keep them forever) and run all 3 D class series but you'd have to buy the added tracks. They overlap a bit but many times for different weeks they are on different tracks. For instance in the week the iRacing schedule is in right now the Late Models are racing at Martinsville and Bristol starts on Tuesday. The weeks run Tuesday to Monday with the new week starting each Tuesday. Fixed Nationwide is at Richmond and next week at Iowa. This week the D Class Modified is at New Smyrna and next week at Stafford Motor Speedway. As you can see just from those 3 D class series none are overlapping in the next couple of weeks so if you wanted to race all of them you'd have to purchase all of the tracks as well.

There are tracks that range from I think $9.99 to $14.99. Maybe some of the road courses go up to $19.99 if I remember correctly but no track is more than that. But once you buy you have it forever. The oval tracks on the game are Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte (free), Chicago, Concord, Darlington, Daytona, Daytona 2007, Dover, Homestead, Indy, Iowa, Stafford, Kentucky, Lanier (free), Las Vegas, Martinsville, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Smyrna, Oxford Plains, Phoenix, Pocono, Richmond, South Boston (free), Talladega, Texas, Milwaukee, Thompson, Irwindale, Twin Ring Motegi, USA (free), Langley.

They add tracks every couple of months. I have all the ovals now. If you buy like 5 or 6 items you get 20% off your purchase in the iRacing store. So, most of these tracks average the $14.99 price so if you bought them all in bulk with the 20% discount you'll be spending roughly $300 to get all of the oval tracks.

If you wanted to go all in and get all of the oval cars they are as follows: Street Stock (free), Advanced Legends (free), D Class Late Model, D Class SK Modified, D Class Fixed Nationwide, C Class Tour Modified, C Class Fixed Indycars, C Class Fixed or Open Setup Truck Series, B Class Silver Crown, B Class Sprint Car, B Class Nationwide Fixed and Open Setup, A Class NASCAR Cup car. To buy all oval cars with the 20% discount you'd be looking at around $120 or so.

You have the expense of paying for the service monthly, quarterly, semi-quarterly, yearly, or two years then you have the added cost of buying all cars and tracks. I know that sounds like alot of money and it's not cheap. BUT, I worked my way up through the series and would buy bits here and there as I went. I would always try to buy enough to get a 20% discount though. After I got to D Class I bought the Late Model and all tracks it ran on. Then in 8-12 weeks I would buy the C Class Truck and the tracks it ran on. Alot of times tracks begin to overlap so you are not having to spend as much at once. Up front when I first started iRacing in 2008 I think I went ahead and dropped the $$ for a 6 month subscription and bought 3-4 cars and about 10 tracks. Then I'd just add as needed.

But it really is pretty cool to sometimes be in a room racing against real drivers - which does happen quite often. Off the top of my head guys I know I've raced against in the past: Dale Jr, Mike Skinner, Bobby Labonte, AJ Allmendinger, TJ Bell, Justin Labonte, Ron Capps, Danica Patrick, Casey Mears, Denny Hamlin, Justin Lofton, Chase Elliott, John Nemechek, TJ Majors (Dale Jr's spotter), Travis Pastrana, Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano, Marcos Ambrose, Justin Wilson, Brian Vickers, Oriol Servia, Simon Pagenaud, and alot of others. And those are just the one's I personally have raced against at some point or another.

Here's some real driver testimonials:

iRacing.com | Testimonials

The iRacing guys laser scan the tracks so every little bump that's on the track will be felt in the car. I truly appreciate the talents of the real drivers after doing laps at some of these places in game. There are tracks that are a real handful. I'd advise at least signing up for a subscription, poking around the forums and reading the literature on iRacing, and trying it out. With the little bit you have to pay to kickstart a subscription you get enough to go rookie racing off the bat. You'll know if you like it or not and if you want to keep going you can always spend the extra money then. I can always be of assistance if needed as I have a pretty good grasp of what's going on in the iRacing universe. I can even whip up custom paint jobs for people. I'll post right here below some of my custom iRacing paints that I have done myself for the game that shows off some of the cars as well......

6. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

My personal Street Stock:

[​IMG]

My personal Cup Car:

[​IMG]

My personal Truck:

[​IMG]

My personal Late Model:

[​IMG]

My personal Silver Crown:

[​IMG]

And below some other cars I have painted for fun and for others......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]