Ireland Makes History

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by gcbvol, May 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This thread is not intended to rehash the marriage topic. Instead, I feel there are a few notable components to this story worth mention.

First, Ireland becomes the initial country to legalize same-sex marriage via popular vote, which is historic on its own. However, that the first country to do so is traditionally conservative and Catholic is striking.

Also notable is the margin of vote, with 62% in favor and only one constituency having a majority of no votes.

Next is the fact that every major political party in the country was supportive of the 'yes' side. Every one.

Finally, I find it extremely noteworthy that the response from the 'no' side has been very gracious, congratulatory and even expressing empathy for those on the 'yes' side. Witnessing that kind of civility in politics is more than a bit surprising. Especially with how we see hot button issues like this play out in our country, on both sides.

Very, very impressive, Ireland. Sláinte!

Huge Republic of Ireland vote for gay marriage - BBC News

Ireland says 'yes' to gay marriage - reaction - BBC News

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Repost from volnation.

3. gcbvol

I changed it up some. I'm the author anyway.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

PJ?

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm a fan, and not just because NYY converted me

It sounded like the vote was going to be closer than it was. Glad it was a clear and decisive victory.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good day for freedom

7. gcbvol

Agreed. I think I was most surprised due to Ireland's conservative history and Catholicism. I've seen the references to an Irish social revolution which I suppose helps to explain.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

birth rate has dropped and marriage age has risen in line with other countries now too. which certainly suggests people aren't as devout as before.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pretty much. The world is changing as far as homosexuality is concerned, and it is a good thing.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was just poking at you.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Careful. He's married.

12. gcbvol

I was hoping, but not sure.

I always find the difference in conversation here and there a fascinating juxtaposition.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:hi:

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Aww shucks.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well the first response in the other thread was something like "why don't you move there," which is about the most volnation reply I can think of.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

GCB thinks that PJ is too gay.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I can't think of a more fitting and succinct way to represent the entirety of that site, than this.

18. gcbvol

Pretty much. At a high level I think the dialogue here tends to be more reason-based while more emotional there, and the quality is much more diffused. I find it funny when someone tries to rile me up over there; as if I have the slightest desire to jump in the muck with them.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're probably expecting some caricature of what they think "gay man" is like. I think you undermine the convenient narrative and that only stirs them to try and get under your skin all the more. It seems most mainstream Christians nationally are at the position of "if gay marriage is wrong, I probably shouldn't marry someone of my gender" and are willing to leave it at that for the sake of personal freedom. That puts us at the bottom of the 9th inning for the gay marriage debate.