Is Goodell in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Richard Dick, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Vol by Birth

Vol by Birth Member

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree, Hat.

I'll be more shocked if the NFL scuttles Goodell than if Tennessee beats OU this Saturday.

By 30 points.

3. Vol by Birth

Vol by Birth Member

What I am wondering is why would the NFL go to all this trouble for Ray Rice?

4. Tenacious D

And I don't think its an accident that he's being thrown in the creek over this. I don't think that this leak just "happened".

I can't wait for someone to prove that Goodell knew about this, or saw it.

5. Tenacious D

Ray Rice plays for the Ravens.

Steve Bisciotti owns the Ravens.

Roger Goodell works for Steve Bisciotti.

6. Tenacious D

Same reason Jerry Jones was just let off the hook for any allegations of tampering, when the Vikings Adrian Peterson called him directly - and while a reporter was in the room - and told Jones that he wanted to be a Cowboy. And even when Jones later admitted that the call occurred, and that he didn't report it to the Vikings.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Has little to do with Ray Rice, the individual. Has everything to do with him being a recognizable NFL name. There are at least 100 other guys they would have tried to cover for in the same way.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I got slammed with all and have only watched 3 episodes this season. Is it worth catching up on after Monday?

9. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Perhaps he'd gotten too big for his britches, in the eyes of a few/some/most owners? Seems to be a messy way to depose the guy, but not sure there's a smooth way,

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I'm positive there are more than a few owners who would like to see him knocked down a peg. There is no doubt in my mind that Jerrah got a quid pro quo for the AP situation.

However, the pure idiocy of the situation bothers me. Everybody knew he knocked her out, so what has changed? Mike Judge is looking like a prophet.....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  11. hatvol96

Yes. The last two episodes have been high quality.

12. hatvol96

He was "let off the hook" for that because the only thing he did that was close to violating the tampering rule was not informing the Vikings. You think Robert Kraft and Darelle Revis just suddenly found each other this offseason?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He knew about the video. He was told what was on the video. However, I believe that technically, he didn't see the video; so if (when) all this backfired, he would never be lying. Somebody in the league office will lose their job, but it won't be the commissioner.

Drew Brees took as measured of a shot directly at Goodell as one could possibly take. There's obviously no love lost here, but he is spot on.

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

16. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

i just read the cbs sports article on the matter. the story says that at some point goodell has opined that a criminal investigation was underway at the time and, according to new jersey law, it would be illegal for law enforcement to provide or disclose any information to a third party (nfl.) doing so would be some sort of obstruction of justice. therefore, it is reasoned, if the video was, in fact, provided to the nfl office illegally, goodell would make the prudent choice (likely on the advice of counsel) and refuse to view it.

i'm no new jersey lawyer but that all sounds ridiculous and explains why many people hate lawyers. any new jersey lawyers on here care to comment? or any other lawyers for that matter?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Once the criminal investigation became adjudicated, all the evidence then would become public information and therefore, at worst, be available to anybody who wanted via the FOIA. So that excuse, if true, is dumb as hell.

18. Tenacious D

Not informing the Vikings of the communication is the very definition of tampering.

19. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

But would it be illegal to release any information prior to any adjudication? Outside of any civil considerations such as libel, slander, defamation etc.?

20. hatvol96

Calling someone else's players is the definition of tampering. The owners don't give a shit about Jones taking a call from Adrian Peterson because they all have contact with other teams' players without saying anything. You think teams and free agents just suddenly strike up relationships when the season is over? Really?