Is the USA an oligarchy?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 15, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/G...ens and Page 2014-Testing Theories 3-7-14.pdf

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It's hard to argue otherwise based on how things operate in DC.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Since man started farming and forming towns and cities, I imagine. Whether it was paternal granting of power or money and business capital, guy with the land/money had the power.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The middle class runs this country, but is often self destructive in policy. The top is too little a number for a coalition and the bottom is a limited political power for a lot of same reasons they're at the bottom economically too.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

But based on the statistical analysis done in the paper, that isn't true 53. The middle class does not run this country. Unless you mean in some other way than policy.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The middle class is being squeezed out and I don't think it's the result of self inflicted wounds.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have no idea how one proves that through "statistical analysis."

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and pray tell what is it the result of?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

A good starting point to answering that question would be to take a longer look at the study that claims to do so.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The middle class is the voting block that hold the power. The top has money and skills to influence, but they must influence the population as well too.

That's why most elections are based on stupid shit that has little to do with anything of importance.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

food stamps have doubled in the past 4 years because that's what rich white people want. got it.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes it is. It's a case of do gooders doing harm.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Now I will concede the fact that once policies and programs are in operation, that the big money controls them

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It turns out, in fact, that the preferences of average citizens are positively and fairly
    highly correlated, across issues, with the preferences of economic elites

so basically his study is dumb

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you think the paper is arguing the middle class isn't the largest voting block? Your second sentence is the point.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh... Ya. It must be his study that is dumb. He and his study are dumb. Ignore all the numbers and statistical work. Just dumb.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I see where he says 2/3rds of policy changes are favored by the majority and that rich people and the majority tend to have similar preferences. where do you go from that to the US being an oligarchy?

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They give the middle class the issues that fire them up.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

From reading the paper, which you haven't done.