ISIS and the Destruction of Antiquities

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Sep 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know that ISIS' abhorrent and barbaric behavior towards their fellow human beings has been well talked about, but their wonton destruction of antiquities is a crime against all humanity. I cannot imagine wanting to live in the world that they want to create.

It just boggles my mind and saddens me deeply.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The artifacts and objects extreme Islam has destroyed over the last 30 years... Those Buddha statues in Afghanistan were almost wonders of the world.

3. NorrisAlan

I know nothing lasts forever, but still, watching these temples and other places getting blown up is just sad beyond comprehension.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I agree, Norris. Disgusting, senseless behavior. Saddening.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A minor issue compared to what they're doing to individuals but still senseless

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

ISIS cares nothing about lives and artifacts. They only care about creating fear to get their way. Wipe 'em out.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Destroying something like that is taking away from every individual who will come to exist. A small thing, but compounded over all future members of humanity.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still value a person more that

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Looking at this very callously... a farmer getting beheaded is no real loss to humanity. It's an affront, but it isn't a loss.

These ruins have stood invasions from the Romans, Muhammed, the Mongols and the Crusaders. It also withstood colonial era conquests.

These are a human relic and that is why they were destroyed. ISIS doesn't just stand idly by while relics to tolerance and shared culture remains standing, they're even more intolerant and singular than any of the aforementioned conquerors. That's a stark indictment of ISIS.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Millennia of shared human history unfortunately doesn't.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see what you're saying 53. I hope you can see what I am saying. I wouldn't choose an artifact over a Syrian farmer, but the impact of the artifact will reach further into time and space. We aren't that special.

12. NorrisAlan

Exactly. I don't think there is a single person here that would, if given the choice, choose to disarm a bomb strapped to the Great Pyramid or one strapped to the poorest street bum in Cairo, would choose the Pyramid.

But, because we base a lot of ourselves on our past, it grounds us in many ways, seeing these things destroyed is taking away from every human on the planet. We all own the Mona Lisa, the Pyramids, the Great Wall of China, etc. They belong to you, me, my kids, my great grandkids and their great grandkids.

It is just sad what they are doing in the name of their religion.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We don't know the reach that the farmer/individual could have had either. I agree that it's sad but I'd rather them blow up a statue or temple than behead someone.

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

It takes someone special to create that artifact.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Me too. That isn't the situation. The situation is they are doing all of the above.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

An individual doesn't make a cultural artifact, a culture does.

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

It takes a unique talent like da Vinci to make a cultural artifact. Without him we won't see the great works that represented the Renaissance.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. These artifact vary in their contemporary uniqueness and value

2. da Vinci was part of a culture, and partly a product of a culture. No man is an island. We all stand on the shoulders of those before us. Etc, etc. You didn't build that [infrastructure you used].

This isn't even an argument, this is a butthurt "center of the universe is me" mindset that is prevalent these days. Sorry, you're on team Humanity and the only way off is death.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Cultures that emphasizes the individual are the strongest. Tribalism is human nature though so we always revert back to it over time.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

All individuals originate from a pair of people. All pairs from four others. Those four came from eight. Like it or not, if you exist, you came from a group and you're part of a group.