It's Cold, But It Needs To Be Done.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 18, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Coach Martin needs to go ahead and tell Dwight Miller and Wes Washpun there's no room for them next season. Skylar McBee needs to be reminded his scholarship is a year to year proposition. If Kenny Hall doesn't want to get with the program, he needs to receive the news that his services are no longer needed. This staff should be doing everything in their power to sign Charles Mitchell and find help for the point and the wings at the junior college level.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Agree about the guard play. UT really needs someone to run the show and be able to handle pressure

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Agree. We'll be better next year and should be a legit NCAA bubble team at the worst (this year's bubble status was/is pushing it). If we can't get a solid PG on the roster, we're leaving some games on the table.

It's probably too early to look ahead to 2013-14, but Maymon will be gone. Stokes could as well. If Stokes leaves and we add nothing else this year, then in 2014-15 we'll have a group of upperclassmen that are mid-major recruits, and possibly a couple more seasons not appreciably different from this one from which to recruit. It's a fragile thing.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I am still shocked that we signed who we did in the first signing period. They are the type of players you can scoop up at any time, so I'm not sure why we went after those two so quickly, especially Reese.

5. germanicus

germanicus New Member

The only explanation that makes sense is that Cuonzo didn't have confidence/patience he could get quality kids interested in time to sign any for the 2012 class. He jumped the gun with those two, especially Reese. I'm not sure Forbes would sign a kid who averaged 9 ppg, 8 rpg, shot 36 pct from the field and 29% from the three for his NW FL Juco team.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised he signed Edwards early. Martin recruited the junior college ranks a great deal at Missouri State. He realized that Edwards is the type of player that everyone short staffed on the wings would come looking for in the Spring period. He decided to beat the rush.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, OK, I can see that line of thinking. Edwards strikes me as a dime a dozen type player, though, and, to me, Martin appeared to want to make hay with the 2013 class, so he rushed through the 2012 class. I'm still mystified on Reese.

8. germanicus

germanicus New Member

The other issue is neither guy played wing

this season. Reese played the 5 and Edwards was a face up 4. Maybe they can play wing, but neither is likely to upgrade quickness, ball handling or shooting on the perimeter. We shall see.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe his evaluations of them projected them as being alright on the wing, and their stats are kind of crummy because they were playing out of position?

I know, I'm being overly optimistic.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe his evaluations of them projected them as being alright on the wing, and their stats are kind of crummy because they were playing out of position?

I know, I'm being overly optimistic.

11. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Martin just needs to recruit over them then sort out the details when its time. They should all know their status under a new coach without being reminded.