I've [itch bay]ed a lot

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 5, 2013.

1. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

unfortunately, I think Shaw has our number and we can't stop a mobile qb that is faster than almost all of our defensive players.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree with all of this. Now keep it going.

3. limpleg

oh, but he missed a few wide open receivers by not even looking their way and throwing it out of bounds over the head of his primary receiver who was covered. We need a qb that will look right and already know which receiver will be open due to the safety read after the snap. He had 2 seams open on one I remember and they were wide.
    Still better at least and we all want improvement. He looks like his confidence is improving and stepping into more throws is making his arm look serviceable.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He is injury prone and we are injury inducive.

5. JayVols

The second part of this post arouses me. Greatly.

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yeah. He missed some checks. The biggest (at least that stick out to me in the 2nd) Pig open on (a couple) swing pass opps that had big yardage potential all over it.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Nice.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'll set up a 1-900 number you can call and listen to guys like Fred White talk about killing receivers on high throws over the middle.

9. limpleg

Here is a question, hindsight of course. Does a coach in that situation late again kneel, run the clock down and kick a fg with 20 seconds left?

I can just picture Butch doing that and Palardy shanking one and fans going crazy, but if we kneel and kick late, we probably have a W. Just trying to win the game though, so it's hard to fault.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I envisioned UGA winning 45-3, lots of boos, fans starting to trickle out around halftime, the stadium nearly empty by games end, and recruits having second thoughts. Fortunately I was wrong about everything.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I almost expected Richt to pull a Belichek. Now that I think about it, though, Richt is probably the worst SEC coach for late game situations, so I couldn't see him doing something so strategic.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I thought about that however their kicker could hit from over 50 yards so that still was not safe.

13. JayVols

You had me at hello.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've gone over this scenario 100 times in my head.

At the time, I was screaming center the ball and let Palardy kick it once we got down close.

We snapped the ball on 2nd down with about 1:55 left (and note how long Worley took to snap it). UGA had one time out. Now, I assume UGA uses a time out after second down so we have 1:50 left. Run a play on 3rd down, let it go close to one, and UGA gets the ball back with 60-65 seconds left. Given they only need to get to about the 35 to attempt, that's only 40 yards in a minute.

I don't know if it ends up making any difference or not.

15. limpleg

well, with the times you listed above, kneeling isn't an option. I was a little fuzzy headed at the time.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The only way I think it makes a difference is if we get stopped short of goal line on 2nd down, Richt richts and doesn't call the TO after 2nd down, we run it down, snap it and score a TD with 60-65 seconds left and they have to go the length of the field to score a TD in 60 seconds. Then, yeah, it might work.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Spurrier won't pull a Richt. He'll expose our lack of speed on the corners.

18. limpleg

Hopefully we can knock Shaw out early on a run. That's our only shot. They can run 5 plays to either side of the field with a mobile qb and mess us up.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

As long as we’re talking hindsight and hypotheticals, thoughts on Neal instead of running it in from 7yds out downs the ‘all inside the one? Run the clock - score - gm. Points or clock mgmt.?

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

There kicker would have hit one from Cumberland Ave. to tie it up.