Jackson escapes assassination attempt

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Jan 30, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

On this date, Jan 30, 1835.
    Happy first assassination attempt on an American president day!

JayVols likes this.
  2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Death was afraid of Jackson: one of the most onery and cantankerous Presidents of all time. He was the most vindictive that I know of. My several greats uncle was his Vice-President, John C. Clahoun. He came to know the wrath of Jackson after a toast over states' rights at an official dinner.

Jackson stood and said "The Union, it must be preserved!" Calhoun immediately followed with his own toast, "The Union next to my State (South Carolina) most dear!' Jackson wasn't pleased to be challenged. Calhoun soon felt the full measure of Jackson's vindictive streak.....

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

An Andrew Jackson thread! I have to work but will give this full attention later.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Popular history has probably been much kinder to him than it should have.........

JayVols likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Andy Jackson was a horrible President.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you weren't a white male, yes

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

In our world today we view him as a horrible president

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Andrew Jackson is without question one of the most important presidents in our history. He broke the back of the Virginia aristocracy and drove political power towards the frontier and beyond. Obviously most know him as a president to the "common man," but Jackson's innovations include: the destruction of the congressional presidential nomination process; the invention of presidential nominating conventions; the creation of a mature party system; the patronage and spoils system still used today; and, most significantly, the shift from a republic to a democracy.

Jackson influence is seen in folks like Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

One doesn't have to like Jackson, but he was as pivotal and important a president as any we've seen. I would also argue that John C. Calhoun -- Jackson's chief nemesis -- is the most important American thinker of the 19th century.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, we can heap many of the worst elements of politics today on Andrew Jackson.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Let me ask you a legitimate question: Which political process do you think you could best navigate -- the one created by James Madison or the one created by Andrew Jackson?

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Let me ask you a legitimate question: Which political process do you think you could best navigate -- the one created by James Madison or the one created by Andrew Jackson?

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Had Andy Jackson been the 16th President instead of the 7th, there would've been no civil war.

He worked to fight the centralized bank, was for a limited government where states rights were predominant, was the only President to ever (EVER!) pay off the national debt, routinely dueled those who challenged his honor, had a mockingbird whom he taught to curse, worked to abolish the electoral college and once was given a 4 foot by 2 foot wheel of cheese.

Sure there is some stuff in there about Indians and what not, but otherwise, what more could you want?

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Must run in the family because that trait of Calhoun's absolutely rubbed off on me......

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Funny, but I'm serious. Madison, Calhoun and Fitzhugh are the most original thinkers in American history. Not until Malcolm X is there another one that comes close. This is my untrained reading of American history, mind you so TIFWIW.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Trick question if I am a minority.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Nice, Jay...

17. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'm sorry, this is awesome.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Witnesses reported that afterward Jackson was heard saying, "Go Vols". TIFWIW.