Junior Seau Found Dead

Discussion in 'Sports' started by BearCat204, May 2, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the more likely issues are the NFL being slow to convert to better helmets possibly due to contracts with certain outfitters. Also, I wonder if you could argue that the size limits of rosters encourage guys to lie about injuries in order to avoid missing time and increasing the risk of being cut.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds like a snake oil salesman if I ever heard one. A supplement that helps with dementia and healing repeated brain trauma. Okay.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the hard plastic helmet encourages higher impact hits, and should be re-evaluated. I also think rosters being larger would allow for guys to sit out without fear when an injury occurs, and prevent guys from feeling like they are dooming their teammates as much. Expanding a roster out to 70 guys... how would that be a bad thing?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people do survive shooting themselves in the head. sometimes they survive as vegtables. shoot yourself directly in the heart and you have a good shot of dying. remember he screwed up killing himself before.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

A good shot? Is that a pun I see?

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes, he screwed up killing himself before. So, on the second go-round, unless he was saving his brain for a specific reason, he puts the gun in his mouth.

7. kidbourbon

They had a guy on espn the other day who was a professional soccer player who had to retire from post-concussion syndrome. Maybe y'all know his name? I don't recall.

Anyway, he was living in Boston in the same apartment complex as Seau, and he tells a story about how he sees Seau and says something to him about how he had a concussion and about how his head still hurts. He said that Seau replied "I don't know how many concussions I've had, and I don't know the last time my head didn't hurt".

8. kidbourbon

See post directly above.

There are lots of things I don't tell my family.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. kidbourbon

To be fair, it wasn't too long ago that they were saying the same thing about Jose Canseco. And he was the only guy telling the truth.

10. kidbourbon

Helmets are never going to be the answer. There is a good deal of literature on this.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's true. I don't doubt people were clueless on head injuries when Romanowski played or that he's got some kind of damage due to being a player. I also think he would embellish if it got his name out too.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Flags and two hand touch are the answer.

Concussions will happen as long as they play.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was going to make a gay joke, but couldn't pick just one.

14. kidbourbon

I agree. When the answer to the question of "how do you make football more safe" is simply "play less football" (which is all the kickoff rules are doing), I can't say it makes me bullish on the long-term future of the game.

15. kidbourbon

I'm as straight a man as you'll find. But you could make a joke about crabs or something.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As long as you have the some world's best athletes going full speed to knock the hell out of each other, this is going to be a problem.

However, is there a study about players who play the game and stop after high school? I can honestly say I've never seen anything that says playing at the lower levels causes long-term issues.

17. kidbourbon

It is going to be tough to ever have a full-blown study like that because the only way you can look at the brain is if the person is dead. Comprehensive proof of this kind would require better imaging technology.

18. kidbourbon

It is going to be tough to ever have a full-blown study like that because the only way you can look at the brain is if the person is dead. Comprehensive proof of this kind would require better imaging technology.

19. kidbourbon

Something. Purdue Newsroom - Football findings suggest concussions caused by series of hits

20. kidbourbon