Just noticed....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Nov 1, 2012.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

We haven't attempted a single FG over 40 yards this year. Wow!! When's the last time that happened at this point in the year??

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not surprising, really, when we've struggled to hit 18 yarders (EP's) all season.

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Oh, I agree, but I can't remember anytime since watching UT Football, where this has been the case. I thought Dooley had at least coordinated Special Teams before. Oh wait!!!

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Mike Palardy #1 & #2 Kicker in the Nation (Scout and Rivals respectively)
    Matt Darr #1 (Scout) and #4 (Rivals) Punter in the Nation

Our (yr-over-yr) struggles in the K gm and ST in general continue to perplex. And it's not limited to just recent history. In one facet or another it appears to be an on-going dilemma dating back at least as far as Fulmer, maybe longer...

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

The kicking game was a traditionally strong part of UT football, starting with Neyland. It is one aspect of the game that improvement is very coachable. Look back at all the great punters we had, starting with Ron Widby, Herman "Thunderfoot" Weaver, the Colquits, and some excellent place kickers too.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee always had good to great kickers/punters until 2008

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't think the decision to punt block live in practice that resulted in a broken leg on the guy we brought in to address a glaring issue in the kicking game gets enough attention. I guess that bonehead move just gets lost in the avalanche of other bonehead moves.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I get too mad to talk about it

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

In Dooley's defense, how else are players CP supposed to learn how to protect their knees without running some drills where walk-ons shoot at their knees every play? Or, how is Bray supposed to know how to fight for a fumble without putting him at the bottom of a pile of linemen a couple of times a practice?

Red dog, IMO.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You're good TD. Not falling for it, but you're good. Risk/reward analysis isn't Dooley's strength. You are right. I am the red dog.

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I've heard Dooley has a private knee protecting session

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Transparent

In a way the kicking game is a little like the O line ... most of what they do is forgettable except the missed opportunities and failures.

The O line sure are getting their 10 minutes this season tho ... one bright spot on the team.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Having a good kicker is HUGE in the SEC. We should totally start this tradition back up again.

14. Vespid

Vespid Member

Not important, but extra points are 20 yards in college and 19 yards in the NFL.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

When we get to midfield its either a 50 yrd bomb or a punt.

JMO

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Be nice if the 50yd bomb into double coverage didn't come on a 3rd and 1

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Very true. Whats the fun in that tho.

18. Milo

Milo New Member

Agree, we've had some great kickers---Reveiz needs to be included into that group as well. I was referring not only to K/P but coverage and tackling---it has been an issue going back to Fulmer's days---of all teams no one took more advantage or scored more (ST) pts against us than f**king Spurrier's Gator's.

19. Milo

Milo New Member

+1

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Daniel Lincoln didn't attempt too many log field goals in 2007.