Justin Worley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Brinkley52, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't think they get someone of that caliber.

Spurrier is past his prime, but I'd argue he's third best in SEC history after the Bear and the General.

2. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

this could possibly be the case...or Spurrier could set the program up for better days ahead..much like Holtz did....people forget that South Carolina is still very young as a program in terms of success...our history is not very good and because of the competition in the SEC..South Carolina has had a very slow growth...but there is no doubt in my mind that without Holtz coaching Carolina...then Spurrier doesn't come...and without Spurrier...we don't have continued growth...
    you can look at it as USC has benefited from other teams being down..but does Florida, Georgia, UT being down help USC beat #1 Alabama...not necessarily....yes I know..it was one time and maybe they beat us 9 out of 10 times...
    I do not subscribe to the fact that people suddenly don't like UT, Georgia, Florida, etc...from living in this state my whole life..the mindset has changed, the talk has changed...the excitement..its all different...gone are the days of seeing Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Tennessee hats at high school football games..instead...you see Gamecock hats and even Clemson hats...down here it has become the "cool thing" to do stay in state..and I think that is a credit to the growth of Carolina and NOT the downfall of others...credit Spurrier..credit whatever...but don't say that because UT, UF, UGA is down is the reason for South Carolina's success...(and please stop with the USCe, that is such a Volnation thing to do, the idiotic things said and done over there are why I left, we could start saying UTe for Tennessee to differentiate on Gamecock boards considering that Texas has been a stronger program in the last decade, but that is just trying to put someone down, I would imagine most people on here assume that when you speak of USC and Spurrier in the same sentence, you mean South Carolina). Again, my two cents, I appreciate the spirited debate and hope you can consider this without bias towards Tennessee

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Easy bud, we are deliberately trying not to be [Richards]. That being said, perhaps you over-estimate the strength of South Carolina's position. What do you think your record ends up being this year?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

South Carolina is not USC. Therefore, the lowercase e will be added. That doesn't really have anything to do with VN.

Anyways, I do agree with you that USCe has raised its level a little bit. However, you have a Hall of Fame coach while Tennessee has been in constant turmoil and UGA has been slowly drifting into mediocrity. You all have benefited from that. I do not think both UGA and USCe can be strong at the same time.

Spurrier leaves and UGA hires the right coach, you guys drop. UGA screws up and hires a bad coach (which history tends to say will happen) USCe can enjoy being somewhat relevant in the east and could possibly take the next step. Right now, you are enjoying UF, UGA and Tennessee being down for one year all at once, which led to your one (1) conference title. One 8 win season when everyone else sucks doesn't mean you've taken the next step.

Win the east or finish 2nd in the east this year, pull in a bunch of studs and do it next year too (finish in the top 2) and you can say you've become established. Until then, it's a flash in the pan.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I hope you find Brinkley52 to be a spirited, if not, loquacious, member. Carry on.

6. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Personally, I don't think it's so much that we have caught up with UT as it is UT has fallen quite a bit since the early part of yhe decade. That being said, we are certainly more competitive now than we were during the 90's and early 00's. However, being competitive and winning championships are two totally different things. Unfortunately, we haven't reached the next level yet.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If Spurrier can't win an SEC title at South Carolina and they don't hire a great coach, I think it will be easier to push the Gamecocks back down.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm glad he's here. It's nice to have a spirited debate from time to time, even if he thinks I'm a smartass for using USCe in the place of South Carolina.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  9. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

It's abbreviated SCAR nationally. I'll call them SCAR if you prefer but USC is only one team.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Solid post.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Spurrier could set them up to land another top tier coach...that's certainly one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it could be -- if Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier can't combine to win the SEC in 13 years on the job at South Carolina, why would any other coach want to follow that tandem and try to win the SEC at South Carolina?

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Holtz was 19-29 in SEC play. He took USCe or SCAR from pitiful to mediocre? Spurrier has raised the level from mediocre to competitive but still has a 24-25 conference record. Spurrier has done a very good job but it seems to me that overall SCAR fans have an over inflated view of how things really are.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Also - I agree that South Carolina's ability to tighten their borders and keep the top talent in state has obviously played a big role in their improvement as a program. Also no doubt that it's made things more difficult for Tennessee.

South Carolina produces some great talent, especially when you consider the size of the state. And while I think you can build a good football team with Palmetto state talent, I don't believe you can build an SEC champion on SC talent alone. In order for South Carolina to emerge as a legitimate power in the conference, they'll have to become a bigger player regionally, routinely plucking some top talent from GA, FL, maybe even NC and VA. Until we see them landing more top prospects outside the state, I think they'll see more 7 and 8 win seasons than 9,10, and 11 win seasons.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Holtz had a couple of teams that were much better than mediocre. I actually think he did a good job at South Carolina. He inherited a program that lost 21 consecutive games (11 under his watch, but damn). South Carolina was dreadful when he arrived. They quickly became more athletic, and very physical. The 2001 and 2002 teams were pretty good.

15. Brinkley52

look..I am with you...Southern Cal is USC...much to the chagrin of South Carolina fans...I just don't like when people USCe...if you mean South Carolina...just say South Carolina...outside of South Carolina..USC means Southern Cal...as I would imagine outside of the Tennessee and parts of the Southeast...most people know UT as Texas...just the way people have "branded" themselves....its just a pet peeve and it is demeaning..but to each his own...and I realize i am heavily outnumbered...

16. Brinkley52

thanks! ha...

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

They had some solid teams and I do agree he did a good job, yet was still 6-10 in his last 16 SEC games.

18. Brinkley52

I disagree that many fans have an over-inflated view of the program...probably on the contrary....winning the SEC-East for SCAR was like winning a national championship for most schools...if anything our fans are loyal to the bitter end...Did you know that SCAR had the 9th highest attendance nationally in 1999 when they went 0-11, and Williams-Brice is only the 29th largest stadium...true fans accept it as what it is...do I think SCAR will be Florida or Alabama or Tennessee...NO...but I think SCAR has a chance to win a few every now and then...have a special season every 3 years...and in the mean time be a regular bowl participant while winning 8-9 games every years and maybe getting a 10 win every few years...but that is a BIG step considering we have one 10 win season in history...and only 4, 9 win seasons...

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Problem is when Florida, UT and Georgia are on their game that's not going to happen.

20. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

If I were in your shoes I would feel the same way.