Ken Pomeroy on Tennessee

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Mar 19, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

http://regressing.deadspin.com/is-a...aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The stuff in there about looking at college bball-sized sections of NBA seasons was interesting, and about us being "better than our record" and all, but at the end of the day all a college team/coach has is its/his record.

I think it lends credence to a) the talent on the roster and 2) the lack of competent coaching/motivation/whatever they've gotten

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Reminds me of a Bob Knight tirade.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Either we're getting extraordinarily unlucky in late-game situations, or we're very poorly coached in clutch situations. If the former, KenPom is right. If the latter, we're just an average team that can put up shiny stats when things are going well. From the eye test, I suspect the truth is closer to the latter than the former, but I am open to revising that opinion if we suddenly start executing in late game situations during the tournament.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I would change "clutch situations" to "the second half".

6. JohnnyQuickkick

It's pretty unlucky when Antwan Space hits 2 game-winning 3s to beat you. It's pretty bad coaching to be in a position in which 2 garbage 3s from a garbage shooter go in and beat you

7. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Is it bad luck or bad coaching to call a timeout that negates your game winning shot? I think both.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

that wasn't bad coaching in that particular instance. that was a heave off a terrible possession

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Getting to that point in that game was horrendous.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I met Ken and a private clinic at Mercer last spring. He did a joint presentation with a guy named Drew Cannon who has Butler's stats guy but followed Stevens to the Celtics. They are so smart it's scary, very funny guys who love the game in a very different way!