Kiffin's play calling in critical situations

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WM, Nov 24, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

Starting to see a pattern here.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Eh. Tough spot with #1 defense and a QB in his first game. The run game had been pretty solid most of the night. The last play the fullback was there, just couldn't get a good pass to him.

I had more issues with the time management.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I was waiting for them to roll out about 5 plays earlier.

4. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

He either makes better staff changes in the off season and cut dad to retirement or as advisory status.................or he's done next season....someone posted he's not the future of SC ..........looks like they were 100% right!

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean only one loss was really that bad and three of them were to top 10 teams. I'd be careful how closely I criticize a team on probation of I'm a USC fan.

6. WM

WM Active Member

I realize they are on probation and they have a green QB but that play calling and time management on that last drive was garbage. Brings back moments I scratched my head during the Auburn and UCLA games.

7. Voldeathpunch84

Voldeathpunch84 New Member

The clock management there at the end was terrible. I thought the play calling was decent except I dont think I'd have went for it on 4th down, take the points. Defense played OK through the game, and didn't they still have a timeout or 2?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The clock management was something I noticed, too. From the time Lee caught the ball inside the 5 until they were stopped on 4th down, I believe took 3+ minutes. I was wondering what the hell they were doing. It looked like the Eagles from their Super Bowl against the Patriots.

9. Voldeathpunch84

I liked the shots they took with Lee, that was obvious the corner could not stick with him, but letting all that time tick off...I was reminded of the Dooley days lol. I understand Notre Dame has a great defense, I'll even go as far as saying that the 4th down play was a good one, just eoukd have went to it a play earlier.

10. britt1974

britt1974 New Member

I think it hurts moe that they were preseason #1.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Going for it was the right thing to do. Even with a field goal, they were going to need a touchdown. You can't run from reality...you're going to have to cross the goal line at some point, you're six inches away from it right now...man up, make a play. The toss to the fullback was the right call. QB just made a bad throw. Dude was wide open, shouldn't have had to go low to catch that ball.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Although I liked the 4th down call, I didn't like the QB sneak on 2nd and goal.

Silas Redd is an all American. Let your best players make plays when you need them most. I thought that QB sneak was a shit call and put them behind in the count. But the Notre Dame defense intimidated Southern Cal, and they've done that to opponents all year long. Very good against the run in short yardage situations.

13. Voldeathpunch84

I follow you're logic there. Just think I'd have took the points and played for the stop, at least then you're not totally taking yourself out of it. I mean a lot of things can happen there that close to the opponents goal line. I guess if I was a USC fan there the only real thing I'd have been disappointed with would have been the clock management.

14. Voldeathpunch84

Agreed.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

His 2 minute offense sucked with Barkley too. Barkley would take forever to call the play at the line

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Lane Kiffin's snap decisions all go wrong for USC

Eight snaps. In a bulging Coliseum that shook with roars and swayed with groans, one football season for two teams was defined in eight snaps.

That's all it took. On a Saturday night when one team rose to the national championship game while the other blew into an outpost bowl like a sad tumbleweed, the difference between them could be found in eight snaps.

The inspirational brilliance of Notre Dame, the utter chaos of USC, everything illuminated in a 22-13 Irish victory that could be described in those eight snaps.

"We had a shot," Trojans Coach Lane Kiffin said late Saturday.

But they missed that shot. Again. In particular, Kiffin missed that shot. Again. The coach who has enraged fans with his play-calling and game management unfurled more mind-bending strategy that turned this game on its ear hole during the fourth-quarter goal-line sequence found in those eight snaps.

The Trojans could have beaten unbeaten Notre Dame. They could have kept the top-ranked Irish from playing for their first national championship in 24 years. They could have saved their season and set the course for their future.

Instead, in eight snaps, they ended their regular schedule mired deep in the muck of five losses and heaps of disappointment and a torrent of boos. Lots and lots of boos, and if I had been in the stands, I would've been booing too.........

Lane Kiffin's snap decisions all go wrong for USC - latimes.com

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

. They were preseason #1. This has been a grossly underachieving year. There's no way around it.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I do think he overachieved last year and this never should have been considered a nc caliber team. On the other hand, they should be a lot better.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wouldn't say "grossly". They were overrated. Ranked #1 after overachieving last season and ending #6. I'm not sure why they jumped LSU and Bama. Everyone was just blinded by Barkley's return.

They lost to a Stanford team that beat them last year, the #1 team in the nation with their backup QB, probably the best team outside the SEC in Oregon, and they screwed the pooch against Rich Rod and UCLA. Probably "should have" finished with two less losses.

But I don't think anyone should be too surprised they flamed out late.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012