Killing bin Laden

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Sep 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Skimmed "No Easy Day."

I can now see why the Pentagon brass was so up in arms - aside from the lack of respect for the normal discretion members utilize when discussing missions, as he has exact drawings of the compound, breach teams, etc.

And OSL was hit twice before the Seals even stepped foot on third floor. He mentions him being in his "death throes" and them pumping "several" more rounds in his chest. I don't have a problem with it, but surprised he put it in print, to be honest.

Oh, and the flag that they gave President Obama, the one where they signed the back of it? Apparently, they were worried about who all would see their names, and some (several?) team members simply signed aliases.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Interesting that they would not tell the President when asked, "Who shot bin Laden?".

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I am in my death throes from multiple hits, please finish me off. You'd be doing me a favor. No problem with it at all.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not really professional to ask or tell, perhaps. Team job.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

dumb, dumb, dumb move to go into such detail, especially without any authority to do so. Even more so knowing their are fellow SOF brethren still in danger, including one of our own from this site in combat right now. To say they've talked to us about this numerous times in the past three weeks is an understatement.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You are correct. Said it was easy to pull a trigger. He has done it millions of times.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't wait to have everyone home. Tired of losing Americans in extended foreign adventures. Our military is an implement of destruction, not building.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Wonder if they have talked to Joe Biden?!?

The family of fallen Navy SEAL Aaron Vaughn spoke out in an exclusive interview with Fox News, telling correspondent Catherine Herridge that their son was filled with uncharacteristic fear when Vice President Joe Biden revealed that Team 6 was the group responsible for the the take-down of Usama bin Laden.

“Mom, you need to wipe your social media clean of any reference to me or any of my buddies,” Aaron had told his mother. “There’s chatter, and all our lives could be in danger, including yours.”

Vaughn’s mother told Herridge that neither her son nor any of the SEALs on the team wanted the recognition, and on the contrary, were angered when they were revealed, as well as worried for their safety and that of their loved ones.

“I can tell you one thing, SEAL Team 6 didn’t want to be identified,” she said. “Those men don’t need a pat on the back, they don’t work for that … everyone [Aaron] talked to [was] very angry.”

Aaron’s father added of the administration’s admission, “We expect better out of the hightest in our government, and I believe what the administration did then … I believe it was criminal.”

Fallen Navy SEAL’s Family on Bin Laden Raid Aftermath: What the Obama Administration Did Was Criminal | Fox News Insider

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Absolutely Agree!

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could this ever be considered criminal? Serious question. It does seem grossly irresponsible/dereliction of duty, and I am supposed to be a communist.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

No. It is probably coming from the emotion of losing their son. I have heard rumors that the Taliban lured Seal Team 6 to an ambush where their son and other memebers of the team were killed. Some believe Biden outing them put a target on their head.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

what "Aaron" told his mother is a SOF standard. Quite honestly, it's surprising to me that 7th even uses that as his screen name with all the cautions and so-called standards USASOC tries to enforce.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I agree Bill...I've wondered the same.

As for No Easy Day...I'm almost finished with it. I can see several instances where he probably went too far. One is talking about taking people at the compound where they thought the American POW was being held, but ended up not being there. That guy is still being held - probably not best to do anything to add more fuel to that fire.

I don't think the training methods discussion, locations of deployment, etc. are that big of a deal. DEVGRU is known and the types of operations it gets called to take care of are fairly well understood. But, specific operations, particularly when some are still at play, gets tricky.

I do find it odd that his story of OBL's demise is different than the official story. The brass supposedly went to the Seals involved and reconfirmed their original account...which I assume means the brass wanted to reaffirm their version of the OBL strike.

15. TheOrangeEmpire

TheOrangeEmpire Active Member