Kim Williams, renown songwriter has passed.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

We have lost a great one today, Feb. 11. Kim Williams originally from Kingsport, and last from Rogersville, TN wrote or co-wrote for or with a who's who of the country music industry. His first gold record was "If The Devil Danced" by Joe Diffie, he followed it up with Kenny Chesney's "Fall In Love". His most success was with Garth Brooks, with five number one hits.

Here is a quote from Garth: Kim Williams and I were writing this song in the studio. We had just finished the Ropin' the Wind album, with the tenth cut being 'Walking After Midnight.' We had one session left over with no songs whatsoever. I asked Allen if I could do something screwy by playing this 'Papa Loved Mama' song. Kim Williams came in and we wrote the bridge right before we cut it. After we cut it, we knew that it had to make the album. 'Walking After Midnight' then moved to The Chase, and 'Papa Loved Mama' was placed on Ropin' the Wind. Kim Williams might be one of the most talented writers I have ever worked with simply because he can sneak so many things in on you as a listener and he does it with this big smile on his face. Be it as a co-writer or just a friend, I had hoped I'd see that smile the rest of my life... he was a good guy."

Kim wrote "Three Wooden Crosses" for Randy Travis, which won song of the year at the CMA's followed up by "Stranger In My Mirror". He had hit songs with Aaron Tippen, Sammy Kershaw, George Strait, George Jones, Reba McIntire, Rascal Flats, Doug Stone, Clay Walker, Ken Anderson and wrote Chesney's "Whatever It Takes"which featured Peyton Manning.

I got to know Kim by sharing the stage with him a few times with our mutual friend Bobby Starnes, a songwriter also who played with Johnny Cash when Cash was at the Carter Fold. Kim was a genuinely nice guy who could spit out a song virtually on command, and it would be a potential hit song. I'll never forget the night Kim was having trouble finding a song in his binder that he had in mind to sing, another local songwriter yelled out "don't you know the words to your own song?" Kim looked at him for a few seconds, and asked "do you know the words to all your songs?" The guy fell into the trap saying "yes I do". Kim gave him a smirk only he could make with his disfigured face, and said "if you know the words to all your songs, you aint writing enough songs"

Sorry for such a long post, but we do not have that many songwriters of Kim's caliber. He said one night his songs had sold over 150 million records.......and counting.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

That's a great career. Probably not many better gigs in life than being a professional song writer.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

One of the great lines in country music:

"He never hit the breaks and he was shifting gears."

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Sounds like a tremendous career. Sorry for your loss, rb.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

It is everyone who appreciates music who has lost. I was not well acquainted.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

[video]https://youtu.be/h2iTJMqfkBI[/video]

This was made the first time i met Kim Williams.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Something to be said for doing what you love for a living. Like rb said, music lost. But man what a great thing to love what you do.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I'll probably feel like this when Billy Joe Shaver checks out. Greatest living songwriter of our times, imo.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Billy Joel.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Better than given credit by the average person. Somewhat the same for Willie Nelson in regard to his genre crossing songs. Many are not aware he wrote "Stardust" or even "Crazy". I'm partial to Kris Kristoferson. My buddy Bobby Starnes who is playing bass guitar in the video I posted, is a darn good writer. He had a song on Blue Highway's IBEA Best Album winner, and another on current Grammy nominated album of the year by Trey Hensley and Rob Ickes.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Kristofferson just might be the GOAT.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Certainly in the conversation.

13. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Man, i tear up every time i hear the version of "live forever" that he sings the first father's day after his son's death. REK and Todd Snider sing with him.

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Touched by your tribute here, Randy.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Thank you h_h, I did not include his many awards and his induction into the Hall of Fame. Every songwriter I know around here, and I know most of them, is in a state of shock. Kim had touched so many of them with his eagerness to help make them better. He truly enjoyed pulling your creativity out in your songs. He had a natural knack for writing, and most tributes I have read use the word genius to describe Kim.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

At just about anything.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

As a vocalist, Kristofferson was not quite at thee top of the list.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

[video]https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif[/video]

Garth Brooks dedicates show to Kim Williams.