Lane Kiffin’s recruits for UT Vols fail to pan out

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GoVols, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GoVols

GoVols Member

A shocking look at just how little Dooley has had to work with after Fulmer's horrid #35 ranked 2008 class and Kiffin's 2009 class.

Regardless of the job you think Dooley has done, we all need to acknowledge just how depleted the team he inherited was.

Click here for article

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer had a part in that class too.

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

At least there's Bray.

4. GoVols

GoVols Member

Honestly, he is the only thing giving our fanbase any hope of ever returning to respectablility.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You really need to qualify "Lane Kiffin's '09 recruits" in your title so that you don't start an argument about whether Lane Kiffin could actually evaluate talent. Because the point here--wow were the '08 and '09 classes awful--is a fair one. This year we finally have a number of the '10 guys in their third years in starting roles, so we'll get to see what Dooley can do with three real classes under him.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

2009 class was bad, but it was around 80% Fulmer. 2010 class was setting up to be really good and ended up being ok, which was 90% Kiffin.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kiffin's fault for the 2 months work on the 09 class. Dooley's praise for the two weeks' work for the '10 class. Yup, that's fair.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Kiffin actively recruited Brown, Richardson, Milton, Pair, Meline, and Myles. None were Fulmer, none were Dooley, and none contributed a lick.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And he also signed Tyler Bray and Ja'Wuan James. He missed on 2009, he hit on 2010. If the discussion is Kiffin's recruiting ability, have at attacking '09 and coming up with excuses for '10. If the discussion is about how we missed on 2-3 recruiting classes in a row before 2010, it's not really relevant.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right on, Tar.

Also, the fact that there was a coaching change undoubtedly was a major factor in some of the wash-outs.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pair still has time, but he was the third tackle taken in that class, so not sure he was brought in to be Orlando Pace. He also was a project and has had injury issues. Brown hasn't contributed because Kiffin left. Myles would have been a starter and I don't know of any character issues that could have been identified prior to signing him. Milton was the fourth or fifth guy in that WR class, so he was probably worth the risk due to his potential. Can't argue with you on the others.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A coaching change he contributed to, I believe.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obviously, but I've seen a lot of people reason that Kiffin sucks at recruiting because Bryce Brown left. That doesn't really hold water.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was hid dream job. We were very unlucky.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2 coaches' sons acting like idiots in the same class has to be a record.

Pair was always a project and then popped a knee, so that's hard to blame a coach.

Kiffin did have a ridiculous amount of misses in 09.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

As someone who has been through a coaching change its not as easy to get kids on the same team to be on the same team, hope you understand that. If you look at what Dooley has had to deal with, 3 different HC's kids and trying to combine them into one unit. Its next to impossible. If you have never been in this circumstance then you can't really understand it. Each coach has his own way of doing things. Thats why you saw a pretty good attrition rate when Kiffen took over and when Dooley took over. Even though they are all playing for Tennessee, they are not the present HC players and that is what each head coach wants, their own players.

That is why I have gave CDD a pass so far. This year will tell more about what his coaching abilities are. If he truly is a good coach, we will begin to see a better product on the field. 2013 could be great. JMHO

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kiffin took over, looked at who Phil had on the line, then decided most of them were worthless and cut them loose. He then had to start at ground zero to get these guys. Dooley took over and continued to pursue all of Kiffin's guys, even a few of the 2011 ones. I think that pretty well explains why the 2009 class wasn't so good.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Respectfully, and I truly mean that, what will Dooley have in 2013 that he won't have in 2012?

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

A heavy senior and junior laden team

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

In 2013, we probably will not have Bray or experienced WR's. Then it will be that. There will always be an excuse.