Larry Scott is officially the new OC/Canales QB Coach

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by RockyHill, Jan 20, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I can't trust a man that doesn't say trust me after making such a claim.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You know, I was really tempted to edit and add that.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

as predictable and mediocre in the offseason as he is on Saturdays.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I wasn't aware I did much on Saturdays...

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Maybe he can be our interim coach at the end of this year.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

End of October you mean.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We'd end up giving him the gig full-time at the end of the season.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Wouldve earned it though. I mean, swept Vandy and UK...not a common occurrence around here.

9. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Scott<Debord - Not from the standpoint of I don't think he can be a good coach, but from the standpoint of limited play-calling experience. Couple that in with a 1st year starting QB and QB controversy, things will be interesting for Scott for Spring/Fall. Again, we all know he's running Jones' offense, so at least we won't have a huge change in philosophy like we did on defense this past year.

Canales>>>>>Sheridan - I don't think the Canales hire is a bad hire. I just think Butch didn't want to step outside his comfort zone again, and Canales fits that fold. We will see if loyalty translates into success, but Sheridan is no where near the offensive coach Canales is, period. I also think that Canales can be a good recruiter, if given the right resources.

Upgrade percentage over the last coaches = 40% - Would be much higher if Scott had more play calling ability, but Canales experience over Sheridan runs the number up.

I'm sure many here won't agree with that assessment, but what everyone will agree with is that loyalty eventually will kill Jones' tenure at UT, as it killed a HoF coach tenure almost 10 years ago. Don't think Jones' has the ability to look at his "infallible" system and make sweeping changes if needed, and he's not going to hire anyone cut too far from that cloth to challenge him to do so.

10. NorrisAlan

Jones cannot step out of his comfort zone because he is a sham. He is a guy that found a playbook on the side of the road and started using it to some success. And as he rises higher in the coaching ranks, this playbook no longer has the answers he needs.

But he is not a real coach, and it is all he knows, so he continues to double down on this found playbook he didn't write or even adapt. He follows it to the letter.

He is a total fraud.

11. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

He gets four million a year to tread water.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've heard this scenario before somewhere...

[youtube]zg5ej7Eui30[/youtube]

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Championships everywhere. Including Bristol and Music City. System is infallible.

14. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

You left off the Co-co and Co-co-co Big East Championships.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The problem is, he considers those great accomplishments

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those too

17. NorrisAlan

There is a picture of that damn BoB trophy sitting in the Trophy room (or somewhere in the Anderson center). On a pedestal in the center of a room.

If I wouldn't get arrested I would like to visit the place and kick it over.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So here is my understanding of the events as to how this was handled, as explained by some radio guys this morning.

On 3pm Friday, Inauguration Day, it was officially announced that Scott and Canales were hired and that a press conference would be held at 5pm that same day.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that something we were pretty dang sure had been settled quite a bit earlier was announced and covered on the day and time it would most likely get the absolute least possible media coverage. And maybe it's standard to schedule a press conference with two hours notice during the busiest traffic hours of the week.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The thing is, it's been decided for weeks. It pisses me off the Ruckers of the world don't call it like it is. Hubbs is an employee of the University, I can see why he repeats the company line. But Rucker, Hyams and the rest, call them out.

People on message boards routinely scoop the Knoxville sports media and it's been that way for years. I don't get why a large section of the fanbase waits until Hubbs confirms it.

It's extremely easy to see this was dumped so there would be no negativity.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fan base is projecting another 8-4 season and is happy with that. The posivols won this war long ago. We are mediocre try-hards. We are Clemson and Clemson is what we were. Worse, we can circle the drain at 7-5 or 8-4 for a long long time before anything changes.