Last of the Doolittle Raiders....

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Only one is still alive, Doolittle's co-pilot Robert Cole...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/us/david-thatcher-part-of-42-doolittle-raid-on-japan-dies-at-94.html?_r=0&referer=

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am honestly surprised any of them are still alive. That was early in the war and you would have to have been ~20 years old at the time to only be close to 100 years old right now.

Brave men, one and all. Knowing that there were good odds they were not coming home, and that the raid was tactically irrelevant. But was vital to letting the Japanese know that, yes, we are here to win.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The unmitigated balls of taking off on a small carrier in a B-25 Mitchell still amazes me. I still rank Jimmy Doolittle as one of the greatest, if not THE greatest pilot of all time. Dude was born to fly and I (who am not an autograph person) list his signature on a card as one of my "must save" items if the house catches on fire...

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

About 3 yrs ago, I met a Naval Aviator who helped train the Doolittle Raid pilots. As far as I know he is still alive. He also developed the incendiary bombs used against Japan, and designed Admiral Nimitz headquarters. He was living in Bristol, VA. This was all in an article in the Bristol Newspaper. I cannot recall his name, nor find it in archives. It was an unusual name of Eastern European origin.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

do you happen to drink dos equis?

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

He might, not I. Just happened to have a mutual friend who plays in our string band, and the gentleman came to a show we did.