Led Zeppelin Getting Sued

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 20, 2014.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

1983 might be my favorite Hendrix song. Hendrix didn't play as many different styles as Page. That's what I'm getting at. I love everything Page did, riffs, solos, everything.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

My biggest knock on Page is that some of his stuff just runs together eventually. I like it, but I don't want to listen to it for hours on end. Of course you could say the same about most guitarists.

4. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

From which song?

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Come with Me. Duh.

6. Low Country Vol

I have read there were out of court settlements to some songs and later they were given credit on their albums.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

8. Low Country Vol

Yes they recently settled out of court for Dazed and Confused. They settled with Richie Valens estate for "Boogie with Stu". The more I read about these online stories and their out of court settlements, I question their artistic integrity.

The Led Zeppelin Plagiarism Compendium

Led Zeppelin
    Babe I'm Gonna Leave You: Joan Baez - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Anne Brendon)
    Dazed and Confused: Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused
    Black Mountain Side: Bert Jansch - Black Water Side
    How Many More Times: Howlin Wolf - How Many More Years / Albert King - The Hunter / Jeff Beck - Bolero
    Communication Breakdown: Eddie Cochran - Nervous Breakdown
    Your Time Is Gonna Come: Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy

Led Zeppelin II
    Whole lotta love: Muddy Waters (Willie Dixon) - You Need Love / Small Faces - You Need Loving
    Lemon Song: Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor / Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues
    Moby [penis]: Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step
    Bring it on Home: Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring it on Back

Led Zeppelin III
    Since I've Been Loving You: Moby Grape - Never
    Hats Off: Bukka White - Shake 'em on Down

Led Zeppelin IV
    Stairway to Heaven: Spirit - Taurus

Physical Graffiti
    Boogie with Stu- Oooh My Head- Ritchie Valens
    Custard pie: Sleepy John Estes - Drop Down Mama
    In my time of dying: Bob Dylan - In my time of dying (Blind Willie Johnson)

Presence
    Nobody’s Fault But Mine: Blind Willie Johnson - Nobody’s Fault But Mine

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Both.

He definitely reworked a lot of old blues stuff into Zep songs. There's a lot of evidence out there on this. Just google it. It doesn't personally bother me, and not even a little.

10. kidbourbon

I strongly disagree.

11. kidbourbon

Here's the issue with Hendrix. Yes, his guitar chops were off the charts. Nigh untouchable. But did that translate into great songs? Umm....a few.

The reason Page is imho the greatest guitarist of all time is that his guitar chops weren't the end game but a means to the end of producing great song after great song after great song. And, to me, that's the name of the game.

12. kidbourbon

Same as above. Who made better music, Clapton or Page? And if you agree that it's Page, then how in the world is Clapton better? Because he was technically more proficient? Who gives a shit? The name of the game is the music.

13. kidbourbon

1) I think they are pretty similar
    2) There is zero doubt in my mind that Zep used that song as the inspiration for Stairway.
    3) There's a difference, though, between that and copyright infringement
    4) And this ain't copyright infringement.

14. kidbourbon

The most outlandish one of all time was a case that the Plaintiff won. It was against NWA, and it involved a George Clinton sample. Completely unrecognizable in the NWA song. But it was the sixth circuit, and apparently Nashville people hate black people. Or something.

Look up the case. It's more absurd than the Verve/Rolling Stones case. Actually....no, it isn't quite that absurd. The UK courts basically just instructed Richard Ashcroft to remove his trousers and bend over while Jagger and Richards pounded him in the ass for several hours.

15. kidbourbon

Here check out this write up on the Verve Rolling Stones case. http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...olling-Stones-song-since-Beast-of-Burden.aspx

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Most absurd was when John Fogerty was sued for sounding too much like....John Fogerty.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Neil Young got sued for not sounding enough like Neil Young.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nothing wrong with that. I can't say that I don't like Zeppelin or Page. Page's work is good with them. I just don't want to listen to it for hours on end.

19. GahLee

Everybody borrows from somebody. 90% of guitarists in the 80's ripped off EVH.

20. GahLee

Fogerty was sued for ripping off his own music.