Let's debate "rape culture"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Apr 12, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Is there any evidence rapes happen more today than they did say 20 years ago? or more acceptable than before? I'm hearing a lot about how we need to educate men not to rape, but is that something you can really teach? I can see how "girl passed out and guys take their turns" rapes can perhaps be less common with education as this person is arguing, but is that a recent rape culture or is the camera phone the real change?

Audrie Pott Suicide Proves That Rape Culture is Becoming Systemic

This attack unfortunately bears a resemblance to both the Rehtaeh Parson's case and Steubenville rape case, demonstrating that this rape culture is not only growing, but also systematic. In each case, the girl had been sexually assaulted after drinking too much, and then had been further harassed by the attackers and peers alike when pictures of the assault had been released online.

Each one of these cases eventually disappears from the news, and unfortunately, from our minds. But their mark on both the American culture and the world are indelible. The instincts of all people involved in making these photos go viral have not been, "lets help the victim," but have been more toward finding gossip to talk about and laugh at. And that in particular, that attitude towards rape and assault, is what needs to be changed. It's not an easy fix, but it sure as hell needs to be done. And it likely needs to start with awareness of what is right and what is wrong

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

So I don't think many people are arguing that rape culture is worse than it's ever been. I think people are arguing that it's bad and should be getting better.

I also think education on what constitutes consent (and warnings against date rape) is something that's helpful, although I'm not sure what there is to do beyond that. You can't do much to stop violent rape by educating the men, but you can work against other kinds of coercion.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

just term rape culture to me implies it's worse than before. i.e. it's become so common it's part of our culture.

4. Tar Volon

I don't think it implies that, unless there's an argument that rape culture is new. I don't think people are making that argument.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've heard more about it in the last 6 months than the rest of my life combined. i see a lot of ads and articles suggesting we "teach" our boys not to rape.

6. Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi New Member

The Internet is the devil.

7. Tar Volon

So the word for it might be new, or people might be trying to draw new attention to it, but I don't think any of those people think the problem is new. As I understand it, it's an old problem that folks have decided has gone far too long without being dealt with

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Meh. Bad people are going to do bad things. They understand what they are doing is wrong.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well i do think that until recently, say the past 20 years, it was not neccasarily considered rape to get a woman really drunk to get her to have sex with you. i.e. she's willing when drunk. not talking about a girl who is passed out drunk. in this case i'm confused why they are arresting the kids now that it is a media story rather than before if they had photographic evidence.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Woman - the eternal victim.

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

[video=youtube;b4hNaFkbZYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4hNaFkbZYU[/video]

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think the high profile cases (Steubenville and a new one in California where the girl hanged herself over it) in the last bit is as much of the reason as any. I remember the Anita Hill sexual harassment deal with Clarence Thomas. I had never heard of it until then. After that, it was everywhere.

13. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm 40 (just to add context). In my opinion, it's the women/young ladies that have been further educated on what the definition of "rape" constitutes. This is the reason it seems there is more occurrences (again JMO). When I was in high school, it was a regular occurrence for a girl to make a "poor" choice and get taken advantage of by some douchebag circling and waiting on the alcohol to take effect. The girls didn't report it as a rape. They didn't report anything aside from telling their friends, etc. I do think young men should be educated on what constitutes a "rape" ... I know I have told my sons that a drunk female who is incapable of telling you no is off limits. Period.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agree with everything you said

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

-Camille Paglia

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't agree male sexual urges are uncontrollable

17. Tar Volon

If you get raped, if you get beat up, that's okay and is part of freedom and trying to curb it would ruin male sexuality? Ummm what? Does it curb male sexuality to say that raping people or beating them up in dark alleys is bad? I mean, it's not like this is a huge concession

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Her point is more that women are constantly taught to play up the victim role. If you (as a man) get jumped in an alley and get the shit beat out of you, yeah, that's sucks, but it's not some life ruining situation assuming you don't have any major injuries. Obviously this isn't a blanket statement speaking for all forms of rape, but it makes a lot of sense for some.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here's another example:

20. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Wow. She's probably fat and couldn't get raped. Her attitude is disgusting.