Let's say Fulmer never gets fired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jul 9, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

As much as I hate Kiffin for ditching UT like that, I don't necessarily blame him for doing it. I do believe it was his "dream job" and one of a very few schools, if not the only one, he would've bailed on us for. He's still a **** bag in my book, but I've moved on from my initial hatred.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The train was well off the tracks before injuries set in. It was obvious as early as MTSU in game #2.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We beat Duke less convincingly in 2003 the week before we beat Miami.

We probably give UF a much better game if we don't play in a deluge and have all those snap issues. Miami of 2002 still murders the 2003 Vols. Bama was better in 2002 than in 2003 and we still needed 5 OTs to win. I don't think 2003 and 2002 were separated by as much as you imply.

5. CardinalVol

Does the 03 teams trail Rutgers at the half?

There was a noticeable difference in play is all I am saying. Clausen's injury should have never happened because we should have never been in a position to let it happen. The 02 team had more talent but took on the cocky/complacent attitude Fulmer had about him all preseason.

I'm no arguing there was a vast difference. I'm just saying the 03 team was more focused and was a better coaching job overall and the lackluster performance of 02 from the head coach down was part of it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We were tied 6-6 at halftime with Duke late in the season in 2003, so it isn't that unlikely. In 2002 I think we lost 4 OL starters, our only decent RB, our only decent QB, and our best overall player, Kelley Washington. Julian Battle and Eddie Moore also missed a little time.

7. CardinalVol

I think you are underestimating the awfulness of the 02 Rutgers team. By no means was Duke good, but they were no where near as bad as Rutgers.

By RB I assume you mean Cedric Houston?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes. The drop off from Ced to Jabari Davis was quite noticeable.

9. CardinalVol

Ironically Ced had more yards and carries in 02 than he did 03.

Although as a whole, the rushing stats are just about mirror images of each other in comparing the years.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He got hurt that year, too.

11. CardinalVol

When was he hurt in 03?

I guess what I am trying to say, and my argument is, is that the 2002 team had more raw talent than 03 and underachieved in part because of the attitude of the team that stemmed from the coach.

I would argue the same for 05 and to some degree 08, although QB debacles played a much bigger role in the latter 2 years.

And this has started be down a good chase of looking at stats from old seasons. Still amazing Graham got 25 carries a game in 95.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cedric was hurt a bunch in 2003, but I don't know if he missed any games.

I would argue that replacing a lot of starters that left after 2001 hurt us and then just getting a year older helped a lot, too. We were also way too dependent on Kelley Washington and made no effort to develop the young talent at WR or really utilize Jason Witten.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

02 Rutgers actually had several NFL players. I doubt that the same can be said about 03 Duke.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not developing WR's in a timely manner was an annual theme in those days.