Look at how poorly coached we were...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Jul 3, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;NYq0ZF18qHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYq0ZF18qHw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

This video is a ****ing indictment of Dooley and Co.

What kind of offense are we trying to run at the 8:56 mark? Pathetic.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

An unbalanced bunched looked that we tried to get them to over shift to that side, while trying to work a flanker back to weak side flat. Florida read it correctly and blew the play up in the back field.

3. FlowingAway.

FlowingAway. Banned

Well that was painful

4. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

O-line was woeful. Much worse than I even remembered.

Those snaps by Stone take the cake though.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It was pretty amazing Florida didn't just stomp us considering how bad those shotgun snaps were. That could have easily been a five turnover day for us.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but Bray played an unbelievable game considering he never once took a clean shotgun snap and was able to get the ball away for the most part before he got shitcanned repeatedly.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Nothing pi sses me off more than seeing a lineman totally whiff (due to laziness and LOE) then proceed to stand around and watch their teammates get absolutely destroyed.

8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

From a coach's viewpoint, I can't imagine how difficult this team is to watch. I played on the OL in high school. If we were ever that lazy, our coach would be running us until we passed out. I know Poole was a terrible running back, but I'm not sure anyone would be good behind last year's line.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not so sure Poole was terrible. Just average and with absolutely no help.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Guys, remember Hunter went down, and the air just went out of the team. It's all good.

GBO

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That might be one of the most disappointing parts of UT's recent malaise. The sunshine and rainbows portion of the fanbase have no problem with the team being so mentally weak that one injury is an excuse for throwing in the towel in one of the biggest games of the season. Incredible.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

A sophomore, as talented as he is, with a handful of starts. Yet the team folds like they just lost Al Wilson.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I think the blocking schemes and playcalling were the biggest reasons for the pathetic run game, not Poole's talent it lack of

14. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

One of the games? TOOS is adamant that the entire season was lost after Hunter went down. That's right, we couldn't make any adjustments for the other 9 games because we didn't have JH11.

15. hatvol96

VN should stick to important topics like how spiteful UT fans should be toward rivals and what unsung heroes the groundskeepers are.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Those were bad for sure, but I think it goes even deeper. Our OL had a passive mindset. We were a passing team which requires a passive form of blocking. Pass pro in it's basic form is a retreat, absorb the DL's blows, and use footwork to maintain position between the defense and the QB. Run blocking is agression. It's having a passion to violently come off the ball and punish the man across from you. It's persistence- staying on the block until the whistle blows. We had no desire, fire, drive, lead in the pencil, or whatever you want to call it. We were a bunch of p u s s i e s that could absorb a blow, but we were as nervous as a v i r g i n groom on his wedding night when asked to deliver a blow.

It's a broken record, but that's on the coaching. The worst things in the world to have on a football team is passiveness, apathy, and laziness. We had all of those last year. It's the coaches' job to keep the aggressive fires burning even if the team is a pass first offense. As a matter of fact, the coaches have to make a concerted effort to maintain an acceptable atmosphere of aggression. They failed miserably, and as a result, we got what we had last year. An OL that acted lost when called upon to get that 1 tough yard. We were in a spread inside the 5 yd line. The reduction in space made it much easier for the defenses to cover our WRs. Thus, we failed. With an expectation of aggression comes mental toughness. We had none last year. We folded when we lost a freaking WR. Yes, an awesome one, but a WR? Come on. We consistently jumped offsides and have stupid mistakes in 3rd and 4th and short situations. Laziness set in because the staff didn't instill a sense of urgency to be aggressive. That led to having the blows delivered to us and poor technique. That poor technique resulted in holding penalties at unacceptable levels that killed us. You can make up for lack of raw talent in the OL and DL moreso than at other positions by having fundamentally sound technique and a motor that won't quit. Being 6'5" 320+ sure is a luxury. But, give me a 6'1" 280-295 lb guy that is mean as a jjnkyard dog and has impeccable technique any day. We had none of this. That rests squarely on the tone set by the coaches.

In short, you have to have an abundance of s u m b i t c h in you to be an effective run blocker. Unfortunately, Dooley has been too concerned with teaching our guys how to shower, water bamboo, and trying to come up with witticisms to be bothered with critical details like having a team that is full of nasty b a s t a r d s while on the field. It's an unforgivable sin for a coach to allow his team to be passive, apathetic, and emotional weaklings. I see little reason to expect more from Dooley. Hopefully Pittman can change that culture. If not, we will get punched in the mouth repeatedly again, shake our opponents' hand for doing so, and ask them to do it again. Sumb i t c h. It's what makes a football player.

17. hatvol96

I tried over and over to tell people at the old place how huge a loss James Cregg was. They refused to believe it and branded Hamburger Harry an upgrade.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Nothing is funnier than watching Bartholomew. He couldn't play for Carson-Newman.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Dooley would have gotten Mitch Browning, the loss of Cregg wouldn't have been near as bad. I think Cregg is a fantastic OL coach, but Browning is no slouch either.

Hiring a guy like Hiestand only showed what a good coach Cregg was.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with all of this.

As to what I bolded, the Sullin twins are a good example of this. Were they All-SEC? No, but they were serviceable OL that really only got their asses handed to them one time all year and that was by Terrence Cody, who dominated pretty much everyone when he wanted to.

It's most definitely a mindset that starts with the coaching staff. You do have to go about your business as a bad mofo to be a successful OL