Louisiana Schools Mass Privatization

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 6, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Genetic theory makes no sense without evolution.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We can do this in another thread

Cliff's notes: you don't know the science behind things, so you jump to conclusions. It is akin to saying if one didn't see a fruit get picked off a tree, fruit salad was made by magic.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I really can't recall much, if any, evolutionary theory being worked into any genetics class I've taken. Those classes generally operate on a much smaller scale. Transcription, translation, endoplasmic reticulums, and such.

Regardless, it really isn't hard to teach evolution without the qualifier that man evolved from ape.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You had no private schools in your area because their wasn't enough money or interest to support one.

Once those dollars become available, you're going to be surprised at how many schools will suddenly appear. And even I they don't, the amount of money that you get now will remain unchanged, just as your student population remains constant.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Genetic Research Reinforces Theory Of Evolution

Sure, one could just not mention that specific example... But don't you think someone is going to ask? Like, every year?

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I do understand the "science" behind it. I'm not jumping to conclusions as say. I'm simply questioning the science. If you have a "method", it should be used in all cases, It should be repeatable in all cases, it does not meet this category. The two things alone I mentioned can not be repeated scientifically. If they can, where can I look at the scientific experiment that was used to replicate it?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can tell you there were men hundreds of thousands of years ago because I can see the stratigraphic layer their remains were deposited in, date their bones and artifacts with radiometric techniques that show the years they were dead/the years their tools were carved. I know they give those years because I can corroborate those radiometric decay rates with modern analogues and known time periods, as well as compare them to several completely different dating techniques.

It is purely Sherlocke Holmes-style logic. The observations are completely valid, and much more valid than what someone merely claims in a book. I can write something in a book myself without any evidence, and meet that benchmark.

There are two possibilities:

1) there is a creator who has worked diabolically hard to trick us by leaving mountains (literally) of evidence for an ancient Earth and biological processes of natural selection, as well as fossils showing transitioning of species over time only to then reveal the truth through a particular tribe of nomads in a particular place and that information only gradually spreads to the rest of the humanity in the last quarter of world existence.

2) It is no trick, and the evidence speaks for itself.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Would, say, Alvin Plantiga at Notre Dame fit under religious doctrine or logical philosophy?

9. Tenacious D

You're mistaken in the belief that just because evolutionists want to prevent even the mention of any other theory / belief / kooky idea, that those holding such beliefs would similarly seek the same.

I have never heard a single creationist / proponent of intelligent design say that the theory of evolution didn't even warrant consideration, or discussion. Admittedly, I couldn't know any possible statement ever made, but cannot recall a single example from either personal experience or memory.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. Hell no. Did you go to high school?

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. It might work in Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Memphis. There are little to no private schools in rural areas. I tend to favor public magnet/STEM schhols. A new STEM school is opening in Sullivan County this coming year, I think. I will be watching with interest.

For full disclosure- most are aware of this, but if you are not, I am a public school educator.

12. Tenacious D

Only two? And both recounted here with complete accuracy and clarity?

Couldn't these "mountains" of entirely credible evidences lend credence to the belief that this was the creative process employed by this "creator" you speak of? It would seem as impossible to prove it was, as not....that is, from within the narrow confines of science, alone?

Would it at least be worth a discussion, even?

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Depends on what kind of school we are talking about. It probably doesn't deserve a whole lot more than an overview in public schools.

14. JayVols

Sounds nice. I just don't see it happening this way. Poor systems will only get poorer. I don't see any private school setting up shop in Hawkins County. Ever. I could be wrong though.

15. JayVols

The SCOTUS also believes corporations are people and money is speech. That decision is turning into an unmitigated disaster where those with money have more influence than those without, imo. It's almost like a 21st Century poll tax. I'm sure Neocon on toos loves that decision. He believes only landowners, business owners, and vets should have the right to vote. Citizen's United decision sold our elections to the highest bidder.

In short, just because the SCOTUS approves, doesn't make it right.

16. JayVols

You are on fire. My school is simply a training ground for Dobyns-Bennett. Their entire math department, save one, once worked at my school. The desire to improve my community is the only reason that I haven't left as well.

17. JayVols

Public money should not be spent on religious institutions is my position. What will be said when a medrassa is set up, and Joe Q. Public's tax money starts going to fund it?

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've never heard of anyone wanting to make schools a religious institution, that new to me.

19. JayVols

On the state side, yes. You are not taking county contributions into account.

20. JayVols

Not what I was saying. Vouchers allow public funds to go to private institutions some of which are affiliated with religion. Would you want your tax money going to a radical medrassa?