Lying to recruits

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 615 Vol, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

2. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

There are only a few coaches that have the leverage to tell the "truth" about recruiting. Holgerson just ****ed himself.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is all moot, anyway. Won't be long before it will just be about how much the kids will get paid, and all of this sleeze can just get washed away.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That scares me thinking about Tennessee paying players. They'd have the highest paid long snapper in the country and lowest paid quarterback with the way they mismanage money.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here's something funny, albeit entirely unsurprising - and a PERFECT example of why there's an inherent (and intentional?) conflict with big-time Athletic Departments hiring their own in-house media types / reporters to provide their fans / general public with what is purported to be "news":

Here are Holgerson's comments, as reported by Fox Sports, at the link cited in the OP:

At the bottom of that Fox Sports article, they provide a hyperlink to a transcript of the entire presser, located on WVU's official AD site.

After clicking that link, here's the transcript of the same answer, as posted on WVU's official site:

Notice anything missing? Here is that same quote, but with the controversial (and seemingly redacted) lines being returned, in context, as Fox Sports reported them to be, having cited this very transcript as the basis to support and confirm their story:

Emphasis mine. Re-inserted text.

Here's the link to WVUAD's account of the comments made by Holgerson, and which the Fox Sports article provided in its story: http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=26058&cat=exclusives

Perhaps most will think is a mountain out of a molehill sort of thing, and maybe it is. But as more and more AD's continue to hire their own in-house media members, and place them on their payrolls - just as Tennessee has done, BTW - they've moved beyond the mere seeking to control the "spin" or the "angle" of independently reported information, but the very story - or non-story - itself, and as they may exclusively decide.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

My larger (and perhaps, dumber, but quite sincere) point is this:

As "traditional" media becomes more and more marginalized, they are forced to cede more and more control of what the "news" not only is, but is allowed to be. Instead, they are increasingly faced with the equally desperate choices of either voluntarily assuming some lesser role of the passive appeaser (I'm looking at you, SportsTalk), or perish. And as schools continue adding zeroes to the end of their bottom-line revenue, and become ever-increasingly more powerful and important, naturally, the stronger their desire to assume this newly ceded and precious ground. And in so doing, they not only knowingly disregard and usurp the very premise of the critical importance of a free press, but do so with the explicit hope that such may achieve those unjust and rarified freedoms - typically only enjoyed by the despotic and tyrannical - of absolute and unquestionable autonomy, so as to wield it in the protection and advancement of their own self-serving interests, alone.

And the local media, being hand-fed, is not only hastening their own demise, but is the very thing which will actually bring the power-hungry AD's (across the country) quest for both unilateral and irreversible power and control, into fruition. The maddening part of it all, at least to me, is that they cannot seem to realize either these facts, or this simple truth:

They may be the last to be eaten, but will nonetheless be eaten, just the same, and in due time.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Dana won't have to worry about what he says to the media much longer. Nobody gives a shit about what the coach at North Texas or Tulsa say.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll refrain from making any comments until I hear kidbourbon's take on the matter.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

My cousin committed to play QB at WVU, enrolling next fall. I'm really not sure what Dana Holgorsen of all people said to convince him to play there. Although it might've just been a QB-friendly offense and a chance to play early.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I hope he's not too attached to Holgorsen. Otherwise, he may be looking at other options come February.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was amazed at his hair style

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The all time greatest recruiting lie was when Dooley promised Tiny that his father, who was suffering with cancer, would get free and top of the line treatment from the UT hospital if he came to Tennessee. After several months of Tiny being enrolled, his ailing father had been skipping the expensive treatments at his personal hospital thinking that UT would be calling any minute to set up his long term treatment. Tiny caught Dooley in his office one day and when questioned about that promise, Dooley responded with something close to, "tough shit kid. You can't expect to get everything you want in life." Tiny moved out of the dorm that day and only returned after Buck and a large group of players drove to his house and convinced him to come back.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

To me, this goes well beyond the guidelines of what is acceptable. I don't condone lying in any capacity, I understand that it's part of the game however and lies such as "sure kid, you'll get your shot at QB" or "you're number one on our board" are lies that I (and most others as well) wouldn't blink at or think twice about. Promising cancer treatment for a parent with absolute confidence and no real intent is as sad a thing as I imagine a coach would/could ever say.

Only Dooley would promise to cure cancer and all the while morph himself into the disease.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  14. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Wow. How did Tiny not rip his throat out?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Please tell me that is made up.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

As much as I hate Dooley it's hard for me to believe even he would go into it planning on that bait and switch. Geez.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's not.

Only thing I've heard differently is DD never met with tiny to tell him that. Had a GA do it.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

People wonder why the team quit and lost to Kentucky? It's not hard to figure out.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah I can't buy that one.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, if you somehow, in some way, didn't have a reason before...ddiapos