POLITICS Marijuana Legalization Bill Passed in House

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Dec 5, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/04/us/politics/house-marijuana.html

This is a big first step to curing a huge problem in this country. While I don't think it will get passed in the Senate, it is a big first step that will eventually lead to the ending of the War on Drugs that has cost this country so much over the last 50 years.

VolDad likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

36 states have passed medical marijuana, and that vote, plus the senate are pure party lines.

That means house and senate reps aren't even voting in line with their own states.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

As ive mentioned, ive had 13+ ortho surgeries and pretty much walk around about a level 7 pain. Dont take pain pills as i had an issue with them many years ago and had some friends lose jobs and families to them. The green helps pain and helps ease the anxiety caused by pain.
    Never understood why a plant was illegal, while drunk drivers kill daily and big pharma makes billions of getting people hooked on pills, which destroy the body and mind. All about $ i guess.
    I can go get drunk today and overserve myself or pop a pain pill every 4 hours, but am soon to be tested to see if i took a puff. Ridiculous

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

In the 1930s Harry J. Anslinger, head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, turned the battle against marijuana into an all-out war. Some believe that he was motivated less by safety concerns—the vast majority of scientists he surveyed claimed that the drug was not dangerous—and more by a desire to promote his newly created department. Whatever the impetus, Anslinger sought a federal ban on the drug, and to this end he initiated a high-profile campaign that relied heavily on racism. Anslinger claimed that the majority of pot smokers were minorities, including African Americans, and that marijuana had a negative effect on these “degenerate races,” such as inducing violence or causing insanity. Furthermore, he noted, “Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” Perhaps even more worrisome to Anslinger was pot’s supposed threat to white women’s virtue. He believed that smoking pot would result in their having sex with black men.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-is-marijuana-illegal-in-the-us

IP likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

If it was all about the money, it would be legal today. It is really about fear, and frankly, back in the day, fear of the black man.

EDIT: VD beat me to it, as usual. Also, I don't want to render it down to racism, as that would be untrue. But it was used to drive up the fear quotient.

6. Ssmiff

90 years ago. Decades have passed and couodve been corrected

7. NorrisAlan

Of course. But government has a LOT of inertia, and once a law is on the books, it is often damn hard to get it off. Also, once departments are built around it, that adds even more inertia. It is just now losing all of its momentum and I bet in 5 years it will be decriminalized across the entire country.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Man, past is prologue. Things don't get corrected quickly or fully very often.

9. Ssmiff

Except now cutting years and billions off bringing a drug to market, we have vaccines miraculousl ready in 6 months due to covid.
    Pharma and stock market are big reasons why

10. fl0at_

TN passed medical this year, but some clown put a rider on it that said it can't go into effect until Fed decriminalizes. Not sure if that would still mean you'd have to do a test or not, but you could have had medical, if not for that guy.

11. Ssmiff

I dont think corporations who still test care if its med or not. Its the devil according to the older corp jackwagons involved

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or your insurance makes you

13. fl0at_

Yea, my work is drug free. It'll always be against the employment policy.

14. fl0at_

Actually, though, if it is prescribed, I suppose the doctor that is reviewing the drug test could report it as negative.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

16. fl0at_

Even southerners know you don't smoke the leaves.

Savage Orange likes this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

For employment, usually the applicant/employee has to submit a script for something that pops on a screen. The test remains positive, but it is not held against the employee. Or, at least if it's diet pills, you're not "positive" for speed.

justingroves likes this.
  18. fl0at_

Yea, I'm not sure how that works for marijuana, though, as it isn't a prescription drug, it is schedule 1.

Even if a state has medical marijuana, it's still schedule 1, so... I mean, what would be the difference between showing a script from a doc in a state that didn't have medical marijuana? It's still a script from a doctor, that carries as much weight as one from a doctor in a state with medical marijuana.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, right now it doesn't matter. Companies and comp carriers can say it's not allowed regardless of the state's stance in some places. In others, state laws protect medical marijuana users. The federal gubmint has made sure to let us civil servant peasants know that none of those state laws matter to us. Hypothetically, it should work the same as anything else if the federal situation changes, but I doubt it actually does when that time comes.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it will be managed the same as alcohol and substances that preclude operating heavy machinery. this won't magically make being impaired acceptable. I expect you could have a prescription, but won't be able to do things under the influence that you shouldn't.