Market Square Closures

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by The Dooz, Dec 19, 2014.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Certainly a lot more to this than just a lack of business or bad food/service or the other common things that plague restaurants. While it seems rent in the area is pretty ridiculous too, you can read about it here:

http://insideofknoxville.com

I wasn't a part of the family at the time, but my fiancées family used to own a restaurant. And while it wasn't anywhere close to Market Square, they eventually closed when the costs to get the building up to code was more than they wanted to invest.

I can certainly see both sides to this issue, so I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong. I just wanted to make others aware of a (huge?) problem that exists in what has become a great part of town again. There's some great info in not only the article, but the comments sections as well.

I'll also add, as an aside, that the post blog is perhaps the best source for news in Knoxville.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The service at Latitude 35 is exactly why they are closed. The bartenders were the only employees who gave a shit. Well, Gary the current manager did, but he started as a bartender.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I never thought their food was any good either. Their main problems were different than those listed above.

Losing Shonos is a shame.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was at Market Square Thanksgiving weekend and watched the tree lighting. It is a beautiful place. My kids ice skated on the rink they put up. Its a shame those places are getting in trouble and closing. Nothing you can do if they're closing because of bad food or service, but if its because of a large cost that KUB is requiring, seems like the City or County could/should come up with grants or low interest loans to help these businesses. Having half of your business shut down because of a new requirement is not good business. Miami-Dade county gives businesses help all the time. Having businesses around is definitely a good investment in the City or County.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Those stupid build your own yogurt things definitely over saturated Knoxville. Sucks about the other two places. You'd think the Strip and Market Square would have no problem supporting businesses. I guess difficulty parking and the population moving West probably contributes.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sounds kind of like a bailout.....

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Went over to watch Pearl's last hurrah against Michigan during lunch in 2011. It was packed, the Texas women's team managers and such had the bar seating, and my group had to sit in corner. I asked if they could turn one of TVs at the bar to the UT game from the Texas game so we could see it. The server told me no, that the Texas guys were watching it. I asked him which one of us would be more likely to make a return visit. He told me sorry.

Tony's soccer watch party was the only other time I set foot in the place, and I say good riddance.

Always thought Steamboat was overrated. And yes Dooz, losing Shonos is a shame. Ate there once a week when I worked downtown.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The grease trap requirements are from the EPA and KUB has to enforce it. I'm going to be really pissed if it closes down S&B. Great whiskey and amazing burgers.

9. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

I recently discovered not watsons in market square. Awesome burgers and good staff.

10. hatvol96

They're pretty solid. Eaten there probably five times since they opened and every meal has been quality.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Tomato/tomato.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How are politicians going to get their hands greased without handing out taxpayer supplied goodies?

13. hatvol96

Depends on when you are handing the money out. If you are helping fund a good business plan that simply lacks capital, that's investment and it is smart. If you are giving money to idiots and crooks who have already failed, that's a bailout and it is dumb as shit.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Just stirring the pot a bit folks.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was going to say the same as Mr. Hat, but I've seen IP has been a little edgy lately. Didn't want to contribute.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Parking near market square isn't too bad unless it's that first Friday crap. There's usually a spot in either the garage behind DTGB or the Market Square garage. The strip is a pain in the ass to try and find parking pretty much any time.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Parking downtown has become a lot better. I don't see it as a deterent to going downtown any more.

18. hatvol96

Especially once they complete that monstrosity they are building across from Pete's.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it is still an issue for people when it is very cold. Also still a big problem for lunch during the workday.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We parked in a garage, does the BB&T garage sound familiar?

Wasn't that bad. You want to experience shitty parking, go to South Beach Veteran's Day weekend.