Mathematics

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i'll be over in the communications building. cornhole in circle park for lunch

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh hell. Got to see if mom still has my SAT results.

gcbvol likes this.
  3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Is there an ignore thread function on this new template?

If not, I'll be over here in the corner putting my penis in a meat grinder.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Haha! I was talking natural inclination only. Good students/hard workers will achieve high scores in both areas.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You are the type of person I am interested in having a dialogue with! Why do you hate mathematics so much that you would rather put your [penis] in a blender than think about math?

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So I exist in two spheres here.

I hate doing math just for math's sake.

I love doing math when it's applied to something.

7. NorrisAlan

That is fine. Just means you would never want to be a mathematician, just like I would never want to be an engineer. The application of the mathematics never really did it for me. I took statics as a freshman and said "[uck fay] this."

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If I am building something, I don't mind a bit to work out math problems.

I honestly think my biggest issue is that I have ADD something awful. I can't sit still and just do something for the hell of it. In fact, the only time I can even sit down is if I am watching film. The grading it, gameplanning, note-taking. I can, and do, sit there for hours doing it. But, it's going towards something. It's building a gameplan or tendencies.

Now you want me to solve for X? [uck fay] that and [uck fay] you.

And language arts isn't much better. I enjoy reading, but it has to be biographies or stuff that can really happen. I don't like anything, tv shows, movies, etc. that are fictional. Like Star Wars, Star Trek, comic characters, etc.

So I'm not sure if mine is as much math or just that the way I'm wired I don't want to do anything that isn't right along the scope of what I am doing at that particular time or what I am doing in my life at the moment.

9. NorrisAlan

Gotcha. So it isn't mathematics in and of itself, it is the fact you are a more action oriented person and want to be moving towards a tangible and physical goal.

Nothing wrong with that.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Most likely. But I will also say that math to me is a different animal that many times it depends on who is teaching it. We all come to the point in learning where we just don't quite get something. For TT, IP, BPV and others on here... that may have came in advanced classes in college. For me, shit hit home around 2nd grade. But if you have a teacher who can make you push through it, you are more apt to enjoy. To me, I had a couple shitty math teachers and I just didn't enjoy it. I had one professor in college who actually made me enjoy the class and got rid of some my predetermined notions of how much I hated math.

But that class was statistics, too. So i had something tangible.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I love language arts, as long as what is being said is succinct and calculated.

gcbvol likes this.
  12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Star Wars is real. It happened a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

Also, question. If you're building, say, a shed.... will you make an effort to calculate joint load and draw out roof angles or are you not that involved in the process? Will you get to a point where you say "[uck fay] this, I'm just getting a blueprint"?

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don't calculate joint load. Built about 5 or 6 doghouses in the last couple years. If the thing collapses, get a new dog.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just be real careful rolling that shit, man.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

sticky so heavy I need a forklift.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

You did a good job being blunt without getting out in the weeds.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If a woodchuck could chuck wood...

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Joint load? What is this, engineering class?

Just put more nails in.

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

I've built several barns and sheds in the past. And several houses. Never had one to fall down. On my shed I boxed it in with 1 inch lumber. And I did what some people call "Storm sheeting", but really it is just running your boards on a 45 degree angle instead of vertical or horizontal. And as the old folks say, "If yew got a stormsheeted building, yew cain't hardly tear hit down."

DC Vol likes this.
  20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Didn't know we had Amish on the webboard.