MCB vs Purdue Pregame Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 5, 2021.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Exactly. Hooker executes the script well. I think he's an above average QB playing in a great scheme.

Tar Volon likes this.
  2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I thought Purdue's Farva-looking walk-on completely outplayed Hooker in all phases.

Most of Hooker's stat wonders are due to throwing to wide open WRs and Tillman being an absolute beast. Take away the freebies and Tillman and nobody is singing Hooker's praises.

Purdue damned near lost EVERYONE and their QB was still throwing absolute dimes to guys with no knee cartilage and who went into the game with like 200 receiving yards on the year.

TDVol1989 and KyleAlexanderfan like this.
  3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Purdue does a lot of quick throws, too, to avoid pressure.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's how Heupel coaches. He's got an idea how to attack what the other team has shown and then adjusts again.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Heupel is making the right calls, IMO Hooker tenses up and it affects his throwing motion which makes him less accurate.

The fly routes late in the game were the right call. Hooker straight up missed one throw and the ref let Purdue get away with robbery on the 2nd.

They were the right call, but Hooker is missing those throws late game where he's not in the 1Q.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

As I mentioned, Hooker doesn't have to throw it. He could tuck it with timeouts or check down. Yall can have the qb and coach who doesn't go for the jugular there with open wrs.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Heupel called 2 straight plays with a wide open WR that was presumably the first read. That's always a good playcall in my book.

Obviously, in retrospect, he should have checked down because he overthrew the first one by about 8 yards and Purdue was mugging Tillman for the 2nd one.

Tar Volon likes this.
  8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Purdue's QB looked awful in stretches of the game, as well. We didn't punish them when he looked awful

Memtownvol likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Kind of crazy that there was about 1000 passing yards and neither QB was at the top of his game

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think hooker has a shoulder issue that he aggravated in the 2nd quarter. He went from lights out to awful too quickly.

11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Jomboy is on the MCB ending now. Pretty good breakdown, as usual.