Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 25, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Posting this on memory of 1st Lt. Andy Stern of the U.S. Marines. While he was one of the loudest, most obnoxious jackasses I've ever met in my life, he was a Marine from his head to his toe and would fight like hell for what he believed in and for his friends and family.

He's the only person I know killed in active duty and every year his death hits me a little harder.

I will never forget him barging in the house on the evening of 9-11, looking at the TV and bellowing at the top of his lungs, "[uck fay] a bunch of A-rabs!"

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/akstern.htm

kmf600, 2Maggitt2Quit and VolDad like this.
  2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

My father was in the Army. We lived and went to Church just outside the gates of Fort Benning, GA. Memorial Day makes me think of all of the young men who went to Vietnam full of piss and vinegar who never returned. The funerals, grieving families, plaque just inside the Church Doors honoring the fallen with another name added.

God Bless their Souls.

SetVol13, kmf600, Ssmiff and 2 others like this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

College roommate Chip Kyle, rip. Committed suicide. I dont know his title and mean no disrespect. He was Chip to me. Evidently he became a badass team leader over there but back home got him

SetVol13, Tenacious D and warhammer like this.
  4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It’s good to remember.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

https://obits.tennessean.com/obituaries/tennessean/obituary.aspx?pid=172887871

funny thing about it was Chip and I didn't know each other except in passing before college, but I got put with he and his Gtown football buddy in the dorm in '88. He tested the shit out of me and even though I stood up for myself, he coulda broken my neck but we ended up seeing a lot of each other over the next few years. Haven't read his obit in awhile. He was made to be a soldier. As an 18 year old freshman, he had no idea that's where he'd end up.

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I take for granted the fact that I know really don't know anyone closely who died serving our country. That can't be said for my parents and grandparents' generation.