Memphis

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'll spot this here, in the hoops forum, but it could just as easily go into the football forum, too.

Why, exactly, do we continue to even recognize Memphis, at all, much less as a place to recruit?

First, who in the hell has ever come out of Memphis that did anything for Tennessee? Cedric Wilson?

Secondly, it's an absolute cesspool of every manner of filth, and one which I am all too happy to cede to the likes of Memphis State, Ole Piss, Miss St., et al.

Third, is there a more overrated area of the country, insofar as recruiting goes, than Memphis? If so, where is it?

Simply, "Memphis - Who Gives A Shit."

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pulled Float from there.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Dan Williams

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Tony Harris, JP Prince, and Jarnell Stokes come to mind in hoops off the top of my head.

Tori Noel, Andre Lott, Cedric Wilson, Dan Williams in football. I'm sure some of yall can think of more.

I kind of agree, Tenny, I think it's a weird situation because it's so far away and there's so much nonsense that seems to happen when Tennessee recruits there, but I think it's at least worth having a presence there because it's still technically a part of the state, and there's a bunch of alumni there, too.

So while a practical side of me says "Screw Memphis!" I'm not sure our coaches can really do that.

I'm sure there are people more in the know than I am to speak to this.

5. Tenacious D

Ok, name two.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How dare you forget Dane Bradshaw.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Who?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Can't ignore it, but no reason to emphasize it.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ellix Wilson was a decent one year starter and a good special teamed

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Three 6 Mafia

11. Tenacious D

Ok, name 3.

12. Tenacious D

Even with that list - I still stand resolutely not giving a single shit about Memphis.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We are one magnitude 9 quake away from the whole thing simply disintegrating into the Mississippi River anyway.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Project Pat

end of list.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Tony Harris is my homeboy. I love how he charged the UK bench. Even when injured, he knew who the enemy was.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Was a Penny fan back in the day. Had a sweet pair of his 96 Dream Team Nike Zoom Flights. Kept those shits clean.

17. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I like Memphis, but UT does waste too many resources there just because it is technically in the same state. It is pretty foolish when you have potential recruits in places like Virginia, Charlotte, Atlanta and southern Ohio much closer and just as willing to go the distance to Knoxville. Hell, Oxford, MS is covered by the Memphis tv market and is not far from there at all. They also have a good basketball school in the city. Memphis is a very divided place for college loyalties. You can't really ignore it because of the alumni factor and some being raised as UT fans, but you can't count on it to help you either. You just can't assume loyalty because of the state. I don't really care. It should come as no surprise when people 400 miles away don't give the first shit about your school either. If UT has a bad strategy then that would be nothing new. Now I want some barbecue.

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Both of the Cottam boys....Landed Cam Clear, but we know how that ended.... Had a Punter, Hogue, who filled in and set an Orange Bowl record I believe...Marlon Walls was from Memphis, but went to Olive Branch HS in MS....Kiffin got a LB out Memphis, but I think he never panned out and maybe left..wanna say from Ridgeway

Scooter McFadden I think transferred in for a year or two.

I believe its Juan Jennings that lived in Memphis until HS.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Excellent post.