Migraines...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The basis for this thread is I'm going on my 4th one in 8 days. Little backstory is that I used to get them when I was younger at about the same frequency as they're occurring now. However, when I hit puberty (sometime last month) they drastically dropped to once every 3 months or later. Now, at 28 they are back with a vengeance. I typically have a few with auras, but in cases like today, I woke up with it. For once, a doctor has prescribed something that aborts them (zomig). He also put me on beta blockers to combat them before I get a migraine. The problem with that is I've been hitting the gym very hard to get 20 pounds off. I can't take the beta blockers because in doc's words, "it's like putting a governor on your heart." I want none of that shit.

My rant and life story is merely to see if anyone else suffers, and if you've had anything that works. It's getting to the point where I can barely make it through practice, and then when I get home it's lights out and bed. Missing a lot of quality time with my kids due to these damned things.

2. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I feel fortunate never having these issues. Hope this is just a minor set back and not something more.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've had the same experience that you're having NYY, just not as frequent. I would get a migraine about once a week when I was in elementary school. They went away and didn't come back until my early 20s. I'm 26 now and I have them 2 or 3 times a month. I've never went to the doctor about them, but plan to soon as they are starting to interfere with work. Right now if I feel one coming on I pop a couple of Excedrin Migraine, down a coke, and hope for the best.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I got them about once a month when I was younger. They quit around the age of 12 for me. I've only had one since then.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Mine have progressed to such a high level of pain that Excedrin no longer even alleviates the pain. The zomig are wonderful, but I'm worried about long term effects of taking that many. Just sucks that after keeping a journal on them (i.e. What I eat, amount of sleep, stress) there's no rhyme or reason. I will say that I'm at the breaking point with them. I'm willing to do just about anything to make them stop.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think I've ever had one, but I feel for those who have to deal with them.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You have any TMJ issues?

8. Fleetwood1104

Fleetwood1104 New Member

i started getting them in my late 20s and for about a 2 month stretch was having hem every other day, thing is i didn't know that's what it was. they would always start with my lower leg, only on one side, going a bit numb like it was just asleep but the numbness moved slowly up the side of my body and after about 45 minutes of that i would get really nauseas and the headaches would start. at the time i was more worried about the numbness than the headaches and went to the drs and they checked everything out and could never find anything wrong. then one night, day before i was to go see a neurologist, i ended up going to the hosptial it was so bad and i was puking everywhere. they ended up giving me two bags of morphine just to get it to ease off. they were orignially thinking i had menengitis so i had the lovely pleasure of getting a spinal tap while i was there which i highly recomment no one ever has. so after 3 days of no visitors and drugs so hard they had to move the IV every few hours to keep from damaging my veins, to fight the supposed menengitis, they then decided it was migraines due to stress and sent me home. oddly though i haven't had one since and that's been probably 7 years ago now.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not a bit.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nice use of common, everyday terms kpt.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not much experience with them. Hope you find some relief soon.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Excedrin only helps if I take it as soon as I feel it. If I dont, nothing helps. I've done the journal as well and mine can't be pinpointed to any certain trigger. Does the Zomig help if you already have a migraine?

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes it kills the migraine. It works by constricting the blood vessels in your brain. Pricey stuff. For 6 pills and insurance coverage is around 50 bones. Worth it, but when you're having them as often as I'm getting them, it adds up.

14. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

NYY, my brother has had a problem with migraines for many years. He now drinks coffee in the morning and after dinner at night. He swears it has made a tremendous difference.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I drink a cup every morning. May try another cup during dinner. When I can't sleep, is it okay to call you to keep me company?

16. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

Look into Imitrex, or even better, it's generic counterpart Sumitriptan. It's cheaper than Zomig, and works better IMO.

17. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

If that's the case, I might have to drink a cup myself after dinner.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

My college roomate used to get them so bad he said he felt like wrapping a belt around his head. He went to the chiropractor a few times and got a special pillow to sleep with (chiropractor recommended it). Problem was solved for him. Hope things get better NYY.

Disclaimer- I'm not real big on going to the chiropractor since my mother was in the medical profession and had severe disdain for chiropractors, but if it works why not try.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hope you get it taken care of, NYY

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And there it is. My buddy has been on my ass to fall into this voodoo. Swears by the chiropractor. I have always looked at chiropractors like hookers. They were real close to doing something great, but gave up and took the easy route. With that said, I'm friggin miserable and have tossed the idea around. At least my chances of a happy ending are greater at a chiropractor versus let's say, a neurologist.