Missouri players threaten to go on strike...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Savage Orange, Nov 8, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I Wish they'd just admit they know they'd never get another AA recruit ever if they didn't support this and be done with it.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I wouldn't expect them to say anything different.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

High heat.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

For AD and HC, absolutely. To act or say differently would certainly have put their careers in jeopardy as well. However, for the players, based on the tweets there is no question

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Adult reasoning:

"I don't like/agree with X, therefore I won't support/engage in X...

Child reasoning:
    "I don't like/agree with X, therefore NOBODY should be able to support/engage in X and if they do, they need to be thrown in jail/fired/silenced, etc....

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

While I understand their desire for change and admire their willingness to stand up for what they believe, I have to say, this is extremely short-sided in my opinion.

Replacing the school president isn't going to eradicate racism. In fact, it may actually make things worse.

They (non-players) can pretend this was about not letting the moron starve himself to death all they wanted, anyone with a brain will conclude that this deal was struck because of monetary reasons. Simple as that.

I'm sort of embarrassed for Gary Pinkel. He actually had to get up there and pretend to give a shit about a kid he'd never met and act like this wasn't about keeping his relationship with future black prospects on the up and up.

7. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

So, by this standard, the next time a guy gets benched, he will go on a hunger strike until he gets his starting job back. Good precedent.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just reading the time line I'm left wondering how anyone could prevent any of that.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, banning hurtful speech isn't allowed under the first amendment. It's not even a close call. And, I mean, it's comical how not close of a call it is.

10. kidbourbon

Rule of 3s

3 minutes without air
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food.

11. kidbourbon

Yeah, I've heard people say that after a few days you get this crazy heightened sense of mental clarity.

12. kidbourbon

elaborate

13. kidbourbon

The ACLU gets it right on some things.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I like naked and afraid

15. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I figured this was relevant:

@ClayTravisBGID: Hunger striker's dad made nearly $7 million last year. Will faster publicly apologize for his privilege too? https://t.co/NHSRLwbgOX

I'm glad to see that the White House has issued a statement cheering them on. The guy definitely has a future in politics.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eventually there is a power struggle within these sort of groups and they start using these tactics on each other.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

rumor going around they've told students to stay off campus

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh?

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

But in the meantime they've already struck a large blow to the society.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hurtful word alert. Cannot guarantee student safety. Evacuate.