Monday presser

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by YankeeVol, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its crazy to think how one game can change the perception that much and that quick. But it did.

He basically just had his bad season all in one game. He now has no room for error.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It was a really, really bad loss.

And I keep trying to convince myself that GA St just played out of their minds and caught us the 1 out of 100 games that they could actually beat us. But I don’t know if that’s the case. We looked disinterested for most of the game, and they looked more talented at a number of positions. They looked like the better football team for most of the game.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

we literally couldn't line up correctly on defense. it is hard to call the outcome a fluke when execution during even dead ball phases was lacking.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've seen fluke games. They happen. This was not a fluke game. If it was, I'd be more understanding.

This game was Memphis State 96 on steroids.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Except it's not one game really. This is the tail end of a three game losing streak going back to last year. Vandy rang up 38 in their win last year. The reason it's so bad is most thought the team was going bowling last year only to see it end so sourly. With that taste still in their mouth, the fans got treated to more bitter disappointment. I won't say there wouldn't have been a bad reaction without the end of last season, but last season amplifies it.

IP likes this.
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yep, the only fluke was getting a garbage time TD to make it look like a fluke rather than a two score game.

A-Smith, YankeeVol and Tenacious D like this.
  7. Beechervol

It doesnt help no.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

What's wrong with Pruitt? Like why is this happening?

Is he dumb? Too negative and wears people down? Can't inspire people? Unorganized? Lazy with a lack of will to win? Do the players dislike him? Should that even matter that much?

Why does he suck?

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He probably isn’t too bright. The hope was that he was football rain man. He probably is just one of those guys where coordinator or position coach is his ceiling.

Frequently telling the Butch guys they all suck and he’s doing everything he can to recruit over them probably hasn’t helped their attitude, even if that was a true statement.

A-Smith and lol vol like this.
  10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Meh.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, for being such a great recruiter, DL recruiting seems to have sucked and I’m not really getting the sense that it’s going great this year.

LB recruiting I guess it’s a little too early to say, but we needed some early impact guys and other than TooToo they are all projects.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m not sure that’s a big factor or not, but he’s obviously rubbed some guys the wrong way. They aren’t playing hard for him.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

quitting when a new coach says you suck just proves him right. so that's pathetic if it is a factor.

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I suspect there is more truth here than we’d care to admit. The upperclassmen have no incentive to perform and the underclassmen don’t have the experience yet. My bet is that as the season continues to go deeper into the crapper we’ll see more and more young players get significant PT as the old Jones guys get ushered out the door. It’s going to be another long, shitty season and I, for one, won’t invest much time watching. I’ll certainly be around here to [itch bay] about the results but as far as actually wasting time watching? Nah. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

As mentally weak as it gets.

16. Beechervol

Ive heard this game brought up a few times since Saturday.

I don't know how much of Saturday was a fluke or perfect storm but given the 96' team's only other L was to UF and they waxed the rest of the schedule after that game (less Vandy) that game wasn't the norm for that team.

17. CardinalVol

I don't think this team is as bad as they played on Saturday. I do think they played as bad as they possibly could.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Certainly not. The loss came from what's between the ears, not the ability of the players.

19. CardinalVol

It goes back to my stance that you play 1 or 2 games way worse than what you actually are, 1 or two games way above your heads, and the rest tend to be somewhere around what you actually are.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is that the 2019 new normal though? I mean I wonder if the General and the Bear would've been able to use a disciplinarian type approach nowadays and get buy-in. Generation Z would just hit the transfer portal.

That said, Saban doesn't strike me as a players' coach