Most Overrated CBB Coaches

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JZ1124, Aug 8, 2012.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

whether they would admit it or not I don't know but I would imagine many coaches are jealous of Roy and the two jobs he has had.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

X and O is only a limited part of coaching. If it was about that, there would be an entirely different list of greats and most would be from NBA sidelines. I am a Coach K fan, but think he's overrated as far as X and Os and strategic approach to playing, but he's a great recruiter and personal motivator. It works for him.

Donovan never demands anything from his players so they never do the small things it takes to make use of the talent he brings in. The group he had that got it done was being kicked in the ass daily by Grant, and you can see that at AL now. Donovan is a great recruiter, bent on shooting 3s to overcome all the other crap he overlooks. Similarly, K shoots 3s and demands hustle to overcome what he gives away in his recruiting approach.

Donovan is on top of my overrated list. I'd take Roy Williams over Donovan all day long.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

There is no doubt about that, it is overrated in a lot of ways. There is a saying, "excellent execution of a mediocre idea, beats mediocre execution of an excellent idea."
    As a coach if you can't get guys to buy in to you first, it really doesn't matter what you do on the court. I think managing your team, coaching team chemistry and leadership daily is overall more important than x and o's.

I think guys like K, Roy and Cal or so special at managing their team and egos.