Most Overrated CBB Coaches

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JZ1124, Aug 8, 2012.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Critical Coaches: Who is the most overrated coach in the country? - CBSSports.com

Roy Williams (North Carolina): 23 percent
    Rick Barnes (Texas): 17 percent
    Scott Drew (Baylor): 11 percent
    Steve Lavin (St. John's): 9 percent
    Jay Wright (Villanova): 6 percent
    Ben Howland (UCLA): 6 percent
    Jim Boeheim (Syracuse): 4 percent
    Tommy Amaker (Harvard): 4 percent

Who would you add/delete?

I might add JT III and might remove Jay Wright although Wright has underachieved in recent years.

2. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Here is the list of most underrated:

Fran Dunphy (Temple): 14 percent
    Randy Bennett (Saint Mary's): 9 percent
    Rick Byrd (Belmont: 7 percent
    Bill Self (Kansas): 7 percent
    Buzz Williams (Marquette): 7 percent
    John Calipari (Kentucky): 7 percent
    Bob McKillop (Davidson): 5 percent
    Bob Huggins (West Virginia): 5 percent

To me Izzo is underrated, Chris Mack, Brad Brownell is an excellent coach and Eddie Biedenbache has done great work at Asheville,

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I actually think Pitino is a little underrated these days as well... he is a basketball genius.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think Barnes is the most overrated. Roy has two titles, so I don't consider him overrated really. Hard to argue being overrated when you have that. Part of college coaching is recruiting, and Roy does that well. But, considering last 3-5 years, it's a pretty solid list all in all.

As far as the underrated list goes, I don't know a ton about Dunphy and McKillop, but I will pretty much agree with the rest of the list.

Is it safe to say Byrd is one of the top 10 X and O guys in D1?

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Several coaches have told me Rick Byrd is about as good as it gets on the offensive end of the court. Pretty impressive what he has done in taking Belmont from NAIA to regular participant in the tourney.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Hard for me to imagine Izzo as underrated. Don't get me wrong, I love Izzo, but seems like he gets plenty of props. As for Roy, it's hard to say, because you think sometimes those places he's been recruit themselves, but that's not always the case either. I think he deserves credit for bringing in the classes he does and getting them to play ball. Pitino, gosh, he really seems to get a lot out of his teams. The last couple of teams he's had didn't blow you away in the eye test but he still won a lot of games with them. He may be underrated despite all the talk he gets.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I guess when I say underrated in regards to Izzo, I meant typically he doesn't get the talent of Ohio St, Kentucky etc but still wins at a high level and he is one of the best coaches to learn from.

8. CardinalVol

I know what when his teams are on, there are very few that are more fun to watch on the offensive end.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Rick Barnes has to be #1

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Came to say this.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How in hell is Roy Williams overrated and Billy Donovan isn't?

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I agree, Donovan is easily the most overrated. While Barnes does have a reputation as a less than stellar gameday coach, Donovan rides the wave of exceptional fortune of the '04 class bailing his ass out from years of McDonald's AAs blowing first round games. He should have about 10 Final Fours by now with the talent he's pulled.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Williams' teams are also much more consistently successful in achieving high seeds in the tourney than Donovan's.

14. CardinalVol

Didn't even think about Donovan.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Maybe they all just forgot about Donovan, too?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

From people I talk to in the coaching community Donovan is really respected and this poll was from coaches so my guess would most coaches don't think he is overrated.

17. CardinalVol

So why isn't Roy respected?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Maybe he's a whiny [itch bay]? I've always got that impression from him

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I think Roy is viewed as a pretty good guy but not someone you are going to learn a lot from if you go to his practices etc.
    Donovan is pretty well respected for what he does on the offensive end; a big trend in the game now is setting lots of ball screens (flat ball screens from the top, side ball screens, ball screen continuity motion offenses etc) which he was ahead of the curve in a lot of ways.

20. CardinalVol

That's fair, but I don't think Roy has ever been accused of anything other than getting the best athletes and running an up-tempo game. Not a ton of technical expertise required for that.