Mr. Romney’s money problem

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Oct 9, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Letters to the Editor

Mitt Romney asked a contractor (perhaps a small business) for an estimate to construct a walkway. When he learned what it would cost, he decided to build it himself with his sons’ help. In this one action, Mr. Romney unwittingly displayed who he really is.

When my husband and I faced a similar construction project for our home, we did the calculations. We looked at the cost of the raw goods, the amount of time it would take us and our lack of professionalism in this arena. The economy was very bad then (2009), and we decided that we were fortunate enough to be able to pay someone to do the work. We did what every reasonable homeowner does: We got three estimates, then hired the firm we thought would do the work best and at the fairest price. (Note that I didn’t say cheapest. Fair includes a measure of quality.) We watched as three young men worked hard over several days, earning their paychecks and giving us something we wanted in return. But by taking the little step of moving money from our bank account to that of the small business, we helped at least three people stay in their jobs (at least for the duration of our project), we received something in return, and we are all better off as a result.

Is my bank account fatter as a result? No, of course not. That’s what’s wrong with Mr. Romney. He thinks that having all the money in his account — and cheating people out of jobs — is a winning proposition.

Cynde Sears, Oak Hill

The Post reported that Mr. Romney pops popcorn at home and puts it in his wife’s purse when they go to the movies. A political adviser described watching him walk to a nearby convenience store to bring back Perrier to drink with a meal. He does not want to spend the extra money charged for the same products at the cinema or restaurant.

At the movies this is a clear violation of policy. At the restaurant it is less clear, but it is clearly wrong. Is this what we want from a presidential candidate? Someone who sneaks food into the movies and is unwilling to pay a restaurant its prices?

I expect better of my children and have taught them better.

John N. Ruth, Annapolis

Mr. Romney’s money problem - The Washington Post

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Good grief.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Clearly we don't need somebody so mindful of saving money in the WH.

Hard to believe there are people in this country who think this way.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That hurts my head to read.

He's a rich asshole because he decided to get his son to do work around the house?

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I save a lot of money doing things myself around the house, that it one reason I am so rich today!

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That is hysterical. I get that when you are on one side of the aisle it seems like the other guy can do no right, but come on. Now he's criticized for being thrifty, assertive, and self-sufficient?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I just now noticed the thing about sneaking stuff into the theater. Who hasn't done that?

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It is allowed in some theaters. I think Malco lets you bring your own stuff.

Bringing the water into a restaurant is a little odd, but maybe they didn't stock Perrier.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There's a reason people with loads of money also happen to be tightwads.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Exactly

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Let's face it. Anything short of romney showering the middle class with his savings is going to make him seem like a rich jerk to some people.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Even if he did that the same people would say that he was just showing off how rich he is.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't get it. Who cares?

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Apparently Cynde Sears and the Editor of the Washington Post.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I guess buying the raw materials to pour a concrete sidewalk isn't putting money into the economy.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I find it kind of charming, and in contrast of the "out of touch" story lines.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just get the damn election over with. I'm sick of hearing the shit to be honest. It's a damn travesty that these two clowns are the best the parties that be can come up with.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Upon further consideration, sneaking in bottles of Perrier to a restaurant is kind of tacky. Still irrelevant, though. No worse than Obama smoking.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not seeing the tacky part.