Mtallic Hydrogen?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Environmental nazis coming in 3...2...1... To tell everyone how disastrous this is for "Mother Earth"....

3. JayVols

Actually, it would be quite the opposite. If it actually pans out, it could save the earth & provide an avenue to making renewables like solar & wind viable. It would solve the storage issues. Also, it would provide for more efficient electric motors, mag lev high speed trains & eliminate the need to use fossil fuels for our energy ever again.

Now, I could see the big oil, big coal & other old energy fat cats absolutely hating this.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm not sure I see the same scale effect as Jay with regard to potential energy carrier to since energy problems but the superconductor angle is very interesting.

Jay why do you see this being a more effective soultikn to the energy storage question than other wind or solar to chemicals projects for energy storage?

I would really like to know how you initiate and control the phase change back to diatomic hydrogen.

5. JayVols

From the article:

Another article I read stated that once charged, it could be possible that a metallic hydrogen battery might not have to be charged ever again. Now, I see that as a huge reach, but I definitely can go with exponentially longer battery charges.

6. TennTradition

That's interesting. I wasn't thinking that angle at all and rather thinking chemical storage. I wasn't thinking of this type of coup at all.

Of course, this completely depends on how good of a superconductor it is.

7. JayVols

And if it's really meta-stable. If not, cool. You made metallic hydrogen, but it has absolutely zero application on earth.

8. TennTradition

Haha. Yeah. That could end poorly.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You seem to be under the impression environmental threats are fiction. They're not. This appears to be potentially a boon for sustainable technology. Though I don't usually put much stock in these sort of things until the application is demonstrated.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think he's commenting on how there's a portion of greenies that eat their own even if it would be an advancement but still not perfect.

It's the same ones in the EPA that' pushes sue and settle and other questionable tactics to push their agendas

11. Savage Orange

I'm more talking about the folks that refuse to bathe or engage in any type of personal hygiene, chain themselves to bulldozers and want everyone to live in Adobe huts while sucking dirt for sustenance because farming of any sort is an egregious affront to the environment.

12. JayVols

It's a good thing for even these types. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, so no scarcity problem. It is simply changing states, so no emission problems. In fact, metallic hydrogen has great potential to make renewables truly viable by offering a workable solution to the storage problem of wind and solar. There's less loss of energy due to resistance; therefore, even if it's used in transmission lines for traditional power plants (gas/coal) emissions will go down because less energy will need to be produced to compensate for loss through resistance and still power the same number of homes. It would make high speed rail viable lowering emissions from cars. The freight industry could be revolutionalized in terms of speed and emissions from traditional trucking of goods.

If anyone were to stage a mass protest over this, if it works out, it would be the energy and fossil fuel giants of today. The non-bathing, non-shaving , chain themsrlves to a bulldozer, wool sock Birkenstock sandal wearing, hug a tree types will be throwing a party to celebrate this.

13. TennTradition

While it is abundant, you can't just mine it. The imports at thing to me is that it isn't consumed. Just change of state. But in batteries and transmission lines you would consume a quite a bit. Would probably have to make from methane.

14. Savage Orange

I just had a vision of a bunch of long haired hippy freaks celebrating with a drum circle under an acrid cloud of marijuana smoke while a bunch of buttoned down, three piece suit execs March around outside of them with signs chanting Hey! Hey! Ho! Ho! This hydrogen shit has got to go!!!

15. JayVols

Would be a helluva sight.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it increases transmission efficiency and storage greatly, it wouldn't be used in fossil fuels for long. Renewable would inherit the earth.

17. JayVols

I agree. Just wanted to show that even with fossil fuels, it would decrease emissions.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Silvera is certainly proud of himself ... "the holy grail." I guess the next task is to see whether they can bring it to ambient air temp.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is always the rub.