POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

detectorfine.jpg

zehr27, utvol0427 and Indy like this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My dog hates when the smoke alarm goes off.

My wife did it yesterday. She was mad.

That’s all I have to offer.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Look you said murder wasn't stupid. Breaking into someone's house and assaulting or killing them isn't stupid according to you. As if those people are making a smart decision. Neither is setting fire to a building, stealing a car, etc, etc, yeah those people really appear to be making smart decisions, not stupid ones. Then you doubled down on rape and dui. You are having a misfiring, and want to talk about prohibition? as if it has anything to do with what has been mentioned.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It has everything to do with what has been mentioned, and has been explicitly stated, when asked if crime is stupid. And I said no, because that would mean all crime is stupid. But it can't be true, because of prohibition. Thus, there is a test case that I can use to say that all crime isn't stupid.

Now, if all crime isn't stupid, then we have to look at individual crime. If you find prohibition to not be stupid, then you may find that all crime is stupid. In which case, we can't discuss, because we have a fundamental, full stop, difference. So if you find all crime to be stupid, then we're done.

If you don't, then you've accepted that there exists some crime that isn't stupid. And now you can compare whichever crime that comes to mind, to any other crime, and determine if stupid or not.

My process for determining whether stupid or not, which may differ from yours, is thus:

Is there an alternative, but done anyway? If yes, it is stupid. If no, it is not.
    Is there a scenario in which this crime is beneficial? If yes, it isn't stupid. If no, it is stupid.

Rape has an alternative. Just jerk it, slick it, mouse click it, whatever. So therefore rape is stupid. Does rape have a benefit? No. So doubly stupid.
    DUI has an alternative. Drink at home. Call a cab. Walk. Does DUI have a benefit? No. So doubly stupid.

Now, using this system, I can do all the others. But why don't you give a shot, on the others. If you find a category that we differ on, let's discuss it. But if you are just going to just look at things simply, then just conclude all crime is stupid, and save me the effort.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Rock bottom. It's like arguing about bedtime with a toddler.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Dog should have invested in some of those highfalutin smoke/heat detectors. If he had, he would know it's not fine.

7. fl0at_

Whether any of you idiots choose to admit it or not, you have all learned something today.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just to make sure I'm on the same page - your stance is that the red box that literally has the words "fire alarm" on it is not actually a fire alarm?

9. fl0at_

It is a part of a fire alarm system. The words "fire alarm" are actually notice for the lockout key that will disable the actual alarm, and will be used by the responding firefighters.

The whole box is a pull station, which is a manual switch to activate the system.

10. fl0at_

Saying that the pull station is a "fire alarm" is like saying your light switch is your electricity, or your light. It's part of your electrical system, but it isn't the system itself. It's just a light switch.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Okay, class. Who pulled the fire alarm?"

"Nobody. There is a difference between a fire alarm and a fire alarm's pull station."

You would have been paddled black and blue at Maynardville Elementary School. And for once, it would have been the right thing to do.

SetVol13, zehr27 and Indy like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Pulling a fire alarm when no fire is stupid. But stealing a car isnt

13. fl0at_

Simply because people give things easy to remember names, and aren't taught to be precise, doesn't mean it is correct.

When teachers said "Get the lights" your dumb ass didn't climb up and remove the light bulbs, but you also didn't think the light switch was a light.

So why do you persist now in calling the SWITCH the LIGHT? I mean, the switch the fire alarm?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Definitely more possible up side to the latter, to be fair.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your dumb ass just did this.

16. fl0at_

Pulling a fire alarm when there is no fire isn't stupid. There are scenarios where it would be a quick way to send notice to evacuate, even in the event of no fire.

That doesn't mean there aren't instances where doing so is stupid, it just means you can't grossly categorize it as stupid. Because there are cases when it isn't stupid to do so.

Is this too subtle a distinction for you?

17. fl0at_

No, I did not. I didn't call the switch the fire alarm. Indy did.

18. Ssmiff

Nah man that's fine. We all know in IPs example, the kid more than likely pulled it due to incoming air raid on the school building

19. fl0at_

I'll do car theft, since it's come up once or twice.

If I'm on the run for my life, and I'm on foot.. and I can steal a car and preserve my life, stealing the car wasn't stupid.

Thus, grossly, car theft is not stupid. That doesn't make it always stupid. Even if it is 90% stupid, and 10% not stupid, there are other things ahead of it that are 100% stupid. And we should focus on those first.

20. fl0at_

So too subtle a distinction, got it.

You think I'm dry, but you're the guy with literally no imagination.