POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s not a fire alarm. It’s a smoke alarm. It goes off when there’s smoke.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's both. You have heat sensors, you have smoke sensors, and you have flame sensors.

It would be incorrect to call a heat sensor a "smoke alarm" as it is detecting heat. But it has an alarm.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Rape, murder, assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, driving while under the influence, fraud and larceny are all not stupid?

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He will go full stupid on this.

5. fl0at_

If a manufacturer says their alarm works 6 inches off the floor, are they wrong?

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

What if they say it will work much better 20" off the ground than 6" off the ground?

7. fl0at_

Murder no, rape yes, assault no, burglary no, motor vehicle theft no, arson no, DUI yes, fraud no, larceny no.

We should absolutely focus on rape and DUI, and I think, for the most part, we do.

8. fl0at_

Quantify much better. Because most list a range. Let's take Kiddie for example, as they are a very large brand. Their combination CO/smoke meters are listed to work best between 6" from the ceiling and 6" from the floor.

Which means they don't find that one works better at 20" off the ground than 6" off the ground. They don't care. 6-6. Pick one, put it up.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

From what I'm reading, some smoke detectors also include heat detectors. Do yours?

If so, why aren't you arguing that you want the "heat detector" closer to where the fire would likely originate?

10. fl0at_

Indy, you came in hot and heavy about how I'm using some pedantic language. You started with fire alarm vs smoke detector. And I pointed out that both are in the same housing. Then you went fire alarm vs smoke alarm, and I informed your ignorant ass about heat detectors.

You should, if you don't, realize that fire alarms encompasses the entire group: smoke, heat, flame... sound, you name it. I don't have a problem with a heat sensor closer to the ground. Or a flame detector closer to the ground. I don't know that sound will work, but I can envision one, and I don't care if it is close to the ground, either.

Your statement is pointless, you just learned about heat detectors today, apparently. Your question is pointless.

Your next question is just stupid, as the answer is: it's irrelevant, but if you want me to, I now have.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

LOL. You have lost your damn mind.

12. fl0at_

Do you agree that some crime isn't stupidity? Aka, prohibition?

If so, then why do you, at face value, say that these others are or aren't?

I accept that if you believe all crime is stupid, then you could struggle to find a reason why you can't label the above as not stupid, because you find all crime stupid.

But if there is one crime out there that you feel is not stupid, then I don't understand how you blindly conclude that all these others are stupid.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You're wasting your time here. Some people are just a lost cause.

14. fl0at_

If you have a fire alarm that works as well as it can, anywhere between 6" from the floor and 6" from the ceiling, why do you think it has to be high?

If it works as well at 18" as it does 24" and 24" and 36" and 36" and 96"... why do you think it needs to be at 96"?

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Times like this, you gotta be trolling. Or just arguing to argue as it's what you like to do

16. fl0at_

I'll ask the same questions of you as zehr. You're both basically the same person, so I don't think it matters which one answers:

Do you agree that some crime isn't stupidity? Aka, prohibition?

If so, then why do you, at face value, say that these others are or aren't?

I accept that if you believe all crime is stupid, then you could struggle to find a reason why you can't label the above as not stupid, because you find all crime stupid.

But if there is one crime out there that you feel is not stupid, then I don't understand how you blindly conclude that all these others are stupid.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're the one who used the words "fire alarm," man. I'm just working with what you give me. I googled "Fire Alarm," and this is what came up (it's the same thing I envisioned when I first read your post):

upload_2021-6-22_13-47-18.png

Do you have these red boxes with the "pull down" lever in your house? I assume not.

You then told me that I have fire alarms in my home. I don't. I have smoke detectors. My smoke detectors are not fire alarms. They don't even have the ability to detect heat.

I assume that's what most people have in their homes, but maybe most people have devices that detect both smoke and heat. I know when I search "fire alarm" on Amazon, it gives me a LOT of smoke detector options, and some options that also detect heat.

Then we have the first comment from VD, which started this entire discussion, which focused entirely on smoke. You then replied to that comment, also focusing on smoke and not even mentioning heat. If your smoke detectors are also heat detectors, why did you not mention as much at any point in the discussion?

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

this is an all-time low imo

SetVol13, zehr27 and Unimane like this.
  19. fl0at_

Fire alarm is a categorical word used to categorize various types of detectors used to detect and respond to fire. A smoke detector is part of a smoke alarm, that falls under the umbrella category of fire alarm.

The predominate image in your google image search is not a fire alarm, but a SWITCH as part of a fire alarm system. This switch is a MANUAL override that sets the system off. The system also has several automatic detection apparatuses that are also fire alarms.

You are not working with what I give you. You are working with your own incorrect assumptions, and your very poor ability to synthesis information that you have googled, mostly because they feed back on your assumptions.

You have a fire alarm in your home. That fire alarm is in the form of a smoke detector.

My smoke detectors being heat detectors or not doesn't matter. They are both fire alarms. I didn't need to mention heat until you came in and thought that you don't have fire alarms. I had to bring in heat to override your "smoke" bit, because heat detectors do not detect smoke. They are all fire alarms, though.

If you want to specify that you only have smoke alarms, that is fine. But they are still fire alarms.

20. fl0at_

I doubt you are interested in this, as none of you really ever are... but the technical word for most of what Indy has posted in his image is "pull station."