Nanny Refuses to Move Out (California)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volgrad98, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a client who owns apartment buildings in Los Angeles and he's had a squatter for 1 year that he hasn't been able to evict. Getting someone evicted in Los Angeles with the rent control laws is impossible. Especially if they have children and are here illegally

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Meh. They wanted to get a free live-in nanny. Then they wanted to dismiss her onto the street at a moment's notice. I am not in favor of squatters, but they sound like [Richards].

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is exactly the shit Americans going to nanny overseas are warned to look out for, by the way.

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I personally would never have a live in, someone outside of family that is, so this is all odd to me. Hire someone that comes in for part of the day or if you have it a guest house, but never let them live in the main home.

6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So basically what you're saying is burn the place down, collect the insurance, and then rebuild.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sounds like she didn't uphold her end of the bargain and is a leech. This is why you never Craigslist a nanny BTW, let an agency draw up a contract and prevent this kind of crap.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's what I read.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Apparently they don't have baseball bats in California. State full of liberals, what do you expect.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. But you also can't expect to find a great nanny when you aren't planning on paying her.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

[video=youtube_share;BWQACEMW0i4]http://youtu.be/BWQACEMW0i4[/video]

12. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Cut off the water or turn off the electricity.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Water is a natural right....

See Detroit water thread.

Yes. That's sarcasm.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Providing someone shelter, food, etc. in exchange for work is getting something for free?!?

Might explain your willingness to give public assistance away so freely.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It doesn't give a person a lot of options down the road. Maybe they should have just build her a little shack in the back. Or just under the house, like you see with the colonial houses in North and South Carolina.

It is her stupidity for accepting, but this in essence servitude. If you call this employment, so was slavery.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So wait, you're saying the nanny is being held there as a slave?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying they were stupid to make an arrangement that doesn't involve paying someone. You tell me: where should she go, with no notice? This whole incident has been 3 weeks. Most states, you have to give someone 1 month's notice as it is. But they know she has no income because they are her "employer" and don't pay her.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This thread just went full retard. Never go full retard, IP.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

She is 64 years old; do you think there is a chance that she could be getting Social Security? Any chance that she does not want wages so as to not cut her SS benefits?

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You have good points.