NC Governor: Study liberal arts on your own dime

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tar Volon, Jan 31, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think it depends on the major. Perhaps one of our many esteemed litigators can help, but from what I understand, law school is mainly precedent type stuff. Is it really up to the lawyer/firm to learn/teach much of the proceedure and such like My Vousin Vinny and The Rainmaker taught me?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

my plezur bro!!!!!!

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I thought you could do something with just an undergrad in pharmacy. Maybe i'm wrong though. Nurses then. And numerous other undergrad majors could prove the same point. I would hope our civil engineers can do a little physics.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes engineers use their skills they learned in college. but the vast majority of occupations around don't involve using the sciences.

5. JayVols

The reason I have so many posts that are edited is because of an unhealthy need for me to have correct grammar and spelling. Sometimes it's a result of fat fingers interacting with a small keyboard, but it bugs the shit out of me. I'm trying to work on that.

I realize that with this particular medium where we will never actually meet everyone we interact with the way we write is a part of how we are perceived. However, many studies have shown that poor/excellent spelling is no indicator of intelligence. The high school writing assessments don't ever take spelling into much consideration. Not sure how I feel about that.

6. JayVols

Ur evil....

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I guess you could be a pharmacy Tech, but why get an undergrad degree for that?

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Don't you need an associates degree at minimum for that?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if poor spelling means someone is dumb, than i'm a complete idiot.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No. You just have to be able to pass a state test on it.

Some schools offer assistance on it, like Virginia College, but that's more of a money racket.

11. JayVols

It's funny. I don't give a shit what others think when it comes to expressing my beliefs, but I do care about not coming across as an uneducated bumpkin.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm in the same boat.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I just embrace it.

14. JayVols

I haven't reached the 20th level of oneness with the universe yet. Working on it, but not there yet.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We're going to have to talk about this 44 defense that you have for the wing t though. I'm curious about it.

16. hallowed_hill

My point was just that you all swung the argument too far in eliminating job preparation as a primary purpose for college. Plenty of careers rely on college for practical training and preparation.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Honestly, I had a bigger issue with that in high school than college. In college, my English courses have focused on research papers instead of reading texts, while the majority of writing about literature has been in Spanish. Still, I was a little concerned that my opinions would get me into trouble (I was one of the only ones, if not the only one, in the class who had an issue with illegal immigration or didn't think that the majority of the country will be speaking Spanish in 30 years).

18. hallowed_hill

I just remember seeing a study that said engineering and pharmacy were the highest paying careers for undergrads just out of school. Perhaps I misremember what I read, though.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed. Basically, I like to think a university will provide as many opportunities as possible. You should feel free to pursue whichever path you want. I do, however, expect people to be held accountable for their decisions.

20. JayVols

It's really a 50 front look using the same personnel as your 4-4.