Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, May 19, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

As are cars.

There is a lot of things touched on here that I can't go into detail on right now. I didn't claim self driving vehicles should be mandatory or are a sole solution.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't follow your point.

Seems like self-driving cars would offer some advantages and might be nice to have, but we are surviving without them. Get rid of cars and sure the Boy Scouts would survive, but the country would spiral into craziness pretty quick.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cars themselves are no more mandatory than driverless cars. To say they are is also an opinion.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

The main benefits (speculative) of autonomous vehicles are:
    • Safety
    • Speed/Efficiency
    • Cleaner
    Additional benefits might include productivity gains and improvement in work/life balance. Hell, potentially better mental/emotional health.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This. I don't want to be more productive. I want time to perhaps meditate or just enjoy the morning.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think autonomous vehicles are going to be a tough sell. I still think to a majority of people a vehicle is one of the largest symbols of personal freedom in this country.

7. gcbvol

That's a big reason I see it as the only option a good way off. It's definitely going to happen, but will take some time for folks to accept/trust, etc. It will start out in larger metropolitan areas/connectors alongside manually driven vehicles and will grow from there. A near full autonomous vehicle society is minimum 50 years out, in my opinion.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

From a purely philosophical standpoint, cars are no more "mandatory" than self driving cars or trains or air travel or other means of transportation. From a practical standpoint, manually operated cars are essential to society as it currently exists. Removing their existence would require major changes to society in the US. Instantly removing the existence of self-driving cars from society as it currently exists would cause barely a ripple in society, relatively speaking.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The returns are much less in rural areas.

In metropolises, they'll be hailed as a godsend

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like removing the Internet would have in 1991, yes.

JudgmentVol likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Does the internet equal free speech, on some macro level?

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Self-driving semi-trucks are going to replace truckers so fast as to make ones head swim.

IMO, JMHO.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Self driving cars are the new internet?

14. gcbvol

We cannot equate the two, but it is a fair comparison in terms of emerging technologies. We don't know the full potential of autonomous transportation on society. Impactful as the internet? Doubtful, but plenty of potential.

15. NorrisAlan

I would not think it is applicable as you are buying a service from a private corporation. Biggest problem is the monopoly that many cable companies have for the best hi speed. Dsl for instance just won't cut it these days and satellite is not good either because of latency and weather disruptions.

16. NorrisAlan

Yes.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

What the hell is NYY gonna do

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think that's fair. The technology will obviously be of more use in urban areas, but there are some potential benefits to rural areas.

That doesn't change my original opinion that bandwidth problems should be the manufacturer's problem.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Until you are forced off the road by one of those semis, you lose your horses, and X-24 comes and kills you and your family in the night because you accepted the help of a friendly family passing by. It's not so safe then.

20. gcbvol

Well done.