Neyland Stadium's Turf saga fits a pattern.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 17, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hyams sounds downright ornery in this: http://www.sportsradiownml.com/2015...correct-issues-with-field-at-neyland-stadium/

This is just amazing to me that this is a problem. Not only do they have two experts living in the area they haven't consulted, the person they have in charge apparently doesn't have a clue. No one aerates in August. NO ONE. Fescue and most grasses aren't growing roots in the heat of the summer. By aerating then, the roots are broken up and they only have a month or two to regenerate them (September, into October). Thus, the field starts coming up in clods as the traffic on it continues into the cooler weather that makes the grass go dormant. Knowing now that we aerated in August, the state of the field makes perfect sense.

Now you tell me, can you think of another time the athletic department has spurned the advice of experts and trudged down their own bullshit path which led to embarrassing results? Let's make a list:

1. Turf management
    2. Hiring of Tyndall
    3. Hiring of Butch Jones
    4. The Lady Vols debacle (either do nothing or get rid of all of it, the half-measure means this issue lingers in perpetuity)

Others?

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Turf focus

3. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Hart focus at work

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

What would be worse than not seeking the advice of an expert that is currently employed by the university? Having that expert offer advice and blowing him off.

Allegedly.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no hyperbole here - we currently have the worst athletic department in power 5 conferences.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tee Martin

DeBord being hired

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How is hart still employed?

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The fact that Jimmy Hyams is calling out the UT administration is saying something. This is just embarrassing. UT gonna UT.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And didn't someone say he was expecting an extension?

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

They don't give a damn about the quality of the football program. Why would they give a damn about the quality of the football field?

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Jesus, it's grass. That shit grows everywhere. Look at my driveway, I spray it with round up 25 times a year and it just kerps growing.

MaconVol likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

the summer is the growing season to add root strength. Basically we're ****ing the root system up right before the heaviest traffic on it.

After the season when the grass is dormant is the time to over seed and aerate.

13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Which would also seem to make one wonder if Fulmer is trying to power play into the AD job.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How can you forget hiring Dooley?

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

At this point, I'm on the fringe of "anyone but Hart".

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When Hyamns goes after you...........

Aerating right before the season? That's the dumbest thing I believe I've ever heard.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

insane hubris. totally inept egomaniacs.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It makes no damn sense. There are probably half a million people in the state who would know not to do that.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams
    Bobby Campbell, greenskeeper for natural grass at Neyland Stadium from 1994-2010, was invited to Neyland today to get his opinion on surface

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"It sucks"

-Bobby