"No Mas"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If eligible, that fight would still be winning FOTY.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I loved Hearns. He always came to fight and got the short end of the stick because he lost to Leonard and Hagler in two classics, especially with the Hagler one where he broke his hand in the first round.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite factoids in sports: The first three opponents to beat Hearns all went to the hospital after the fight.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

hearns hit like a brick. He and Hagler were the men, but those weight classes were the golden era of boxing IMO.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes.

6. kidbourbon

Totally.

7. kidbourbon

I like all of them. I probably like Hearns the least, and I still like him.

[video=youtube;9VI-M9Yw-28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VI-M9Yw-28[/video]

8. kidbourbon

And I've watched the Leonard / Hagler fight 20 times probably, and I think Leonard won the fight, and I've thought he won the fight each and every time I watched it.

I love that fight. It's like a Rorsach Test.

9. kidbourbon

He wasn't a great human being, but he's an interesting human being, and a brilliant boxer.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Leonard did win the fight. He suckered Hagler and never gave him a rematch.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Duran doesn't get his due either. He was an all timer as well.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Duran was an animal. He went into the fight with Leonard at 74-1 and was probably a better fighter in the 70s than when he was more famous later on for fighting the big names of the 80s. He had Hagler beat and, actually, would have won against Marvelous if the 12 round rules had been in effect then as they are today.

As to your earlier comment of the "golden age", I think a case can be made for the 80s middleweights, but also the 70s heavyweights. I, additionally, like the 50s middlewieight era with Sugar Ray Robinson (the best boxer ever) and you could throw in the 20s in there as well.

13. kidbourbon

But which one are you talking about? There are two. One on the first fight, one on the third. I think the one on the third was better.