Off Week Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 2, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As long as I still get to laugh at the bald dads with the huge beer gut, I don't care.

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I have said plenty to draw ire here but I am just going to say this:

First. Disclaimer, like many blindly loyal and willfully ignorant Vol fans, I believe we have a shot at a Natty until we are mathematically eliminated plus 2 losses. Are we the best team? Irrelevant question.

I am rooting for Bama and GA tomorrow. Our only hope to catapult up the rankings is wins over highly ranked teams. Many think we have a better chance with A&M if they are high off a win. But beating #10 or #11 is better than beating #17 twice. Also Bama holding at 2 losses out (if we only beat them) means better win quality in hindsight.

Of course beating number 1 a few weeks later can jump us again. Then a shot at beating Bama 3 times in 2 years? Come on, you know you want that. This all assuming we win out which is possibly irrational but the life of a Vol fan.

Remember my disclaimer. I have no reason to believe we can win out, but I am unwilling to think rationally.

PilotFlyingJ, Memtownvol, IP and 3 others like this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Tbh it doesn’t matter all that much, if Tennessee wins all its remaining games it’ll be there

IP and SetVol13 like this.
  4. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

This year is the closest the sec has been in a long time to potentially not having a team in the national title hunt. The only one loss sec team I could see missing the playoff is Georgia and that’s only because they play a high school schedule

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The selection folks might as well be brain dead. UGA gets in with one loss easier than maybe anyone but bammer based on the last two years. I'm not saying that's right, but it is what it is.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And as always, it really depends on when the loss happens. Which is idiotic, is what it is

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Next year it is theoretically possible for there to be 5 undefeated big 10 teams. Just saying that to say things will be wilder from here on compared to before because of the conference expansions and dodging tough ooc's.

TDVol1989 and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

These big ass leagues need to go to 9 or 10 game schedules

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I’m more concerned with winning the SEC than the natty at this point. I hope Georgia loses, because it would give us a path to Atlanta even if we drop one of the two SEC West games. If we win out, awesome, but it’ll take care of itself at that point.

NorrisAlan and SetVol13 like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would then need UK to drop one somewhere instead.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If he can keep the ball in his hands. I don't love the way he secures the ball.

12. TDVol1989

If you want to be a True Vol Fan you have to be less rational. Who wants to be a multi-loss SEC champion with no playoff berth? It’s almost like you are from the 1960’s when an 8-2 season with a Sugar Bowl win and a final ranking of #3 is good enough. Quit being a sane old head.

justingroves likes this.
  13. TDVol1989

Most years yes. This year no. We need the Rubik’s cube to fall into place. Texas is in without a loss. Or maybe 1. PAC 12 champ is in. Big 10 gets at least 1. FSU/ND virtually guaranteed. If GA loses any games SEC needs help. And I am concerned about the Vols only. Winning the SEC and out of the playoff is insulting

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They play Alabama. (And are not immune to dropping games against teams like Missouri, South Carolina, and Mississippi State).

justingroves likes this.
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've already got the 28th penciled in as a win. It's Kentucky.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So this season is not as magical as we had hoped so far, but at least we aren't making jokes about being a 5.5 -point dog to BYE this year.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

And we are disappointed by a 41 point out by our offense

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

15-3 going back to last year. Think it’s common to lose sight of that even after many years of nowhere close to it.
    And all 3 losses on the road at night and the biggest game of the year for all 3 opponents.

warhammer likes this.
  19. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I didn't expect a magical season with this team. So while disappointed with our showing at Florida, I'm just trying to enjoy this season.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not afraid of Mizzou.